Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wallace's Work log

edited July 2011 in Work Logs
This shall be the general work log. 

And so it commences.

Near enough done with the new Delirium print that goes with the Dream/Death set I did last year. This is the only one out of the set that has any real color (excepting for Desire's red lips.)

And I sent this off to be printed up, it's my new banner for cons.

Comments

• @RussellLissau oh, weird. There you go.
  • the banner is really quite lovely
  • Very nice, sir!
  • has a kind of rock poster as inspired by comics vibe. very cool
  • Very Metropolis. I like.
  • The banner is stunning.
    Are you going to do all of the endless? That would be quite a set.
  • @RussellLissau yup. I had planned to have Desire done as well for WWC but it didn't happen.
  • I can see a postcard set of all of them.
  • I've been absent in the comics community and here for a while, about 2 years actually and it's had a huge impact on my life. When I first moved to Columbus I was absent because I was piled up with work, dealing with buying a new house, making improvements on said house and finishing up my senior year of college. After about 6 months all of that dried up. I was done with school (yay, only took 12 years!) and everything with the house was mostly complete and it was around then that things started going down hill for me. I found myself with a ton of free time and no good habits to deal with it, I found myself slipping into a long and deep depression. Over the past 8 months or so things had gotten very bad, I wasn't leaving the house (I can work from home whenever I want, that only added fuel to the fire), I was barely communicating with anyone and I wasn't creating anything. Most of that time was spent in the dark on my couch watching netflix and wondering how things had gotten so bad. I ended up gaining about 50 pounds, none of my clothes fit and that was only adding to the self hatred I felt. It was the darkest period of my life so far. 

Then Trevor got married. When I got the invite to his wedding I was pretty sure I wouldn't go, I could barely get off the couch long enough to go into the office for a day much less drive 5 hours to Chicago for a weekend - so I lied and told him I had work (sorry buddy, I deeply apologize for the lie!). Then I scared the shit out of myself, I didn't try to kill myself but I started considering how much easier it would be if I did and that frightened me into action. So I went to the wedding and saw so many of you, had a great time and remembered what it feels like to be really happy.

That weekend wasn't a cure, I still came back home and slid into the same depressive habits I had but there was a spark there that started to push me in the direction of getting help. Finally, about a month and half ago, I went to the doctor and got some medication and started attending counseling. 

I'm getting OK again, I'm consistently happy - or at least not sad - for the first time in over a year. I want to create again, I want to be involved with my friends and family again and I want to finally get my life back on track. 

So with that in mind, I'm going to try and keep my worklog updated with a reasonable frequency. In order for that to happen I have to actually start producing work! Fortunately @RussellLissau reached out to me a few weeks ago to letter his new zombie mini and I'll have that work to keep me busy come January. I'm also working on my own stuff again, I'm planning on doing a few 8-12 page shorts to get back in the swing of things and have concrete things I can finish. More on those in the next few weeks. 

So, theres that. :)
  • You're a brave man, that must have been so difficult to write. Good to see you back Steve!
  • Thanks for sharing that, Steve! We're all here for you.
  • Planning shorts is a good place to start.
  • Way to go, Steve!!! Im glad our chat outside Dave and busters, and the lettering gig thst followed, got things rolling. We are a big family here, and we love you. Plus, let's face it, every single person here has battled with depression. We know what you're going through and we will be supportive.
  • Glad to see you back!
  • Let's grab a beer sometime soon. 

You still have my number and my email. The ladyfriend and I live in the Short North and I'm in Clintonville at least once a week for new comics.
  • Good to have you back here.
  • Thanks to everyone for your support, it means a great deal to me. It should say something about our community that this was the place I felt safest exposing my issues. Again, I deeply appreciate this community and I'm so happy to be a part of it!
  • @EricPalicki Definitely, I'll ping you in the next few days to set something up.
  • Welcome back man. I've been there, so I feel you.
  • Glad you're back and thanks for sharing. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Monday so I can start digging myself out of the pit. It's helps to hear someone else has done it. 
  • @GregCarter I'm glad you're getting help and I'm glad I could be of even a little help. 
  • edited December 2013
    He's alive!

I'm so glad the wedding was the kick in the pants you needed to get out of your funk. It's challenging for us creative types, I think we've all dealt with depression in some form or another in our own way (I'm dealing with it a bit myself at the moment), but I'm so glad 1) you were able to come to the wedding, and 2) that hanging out with friends again was the motivation you needed to get back and DO THE WORK.

Now that you're in Columbus, you're a lot closer to us here in Chicago - so there's no reason we shouldn't hang out more, do more shows, and generally find ways to get together and have fun.

Also, I think I have your coat from the wedding. Just so you know. :P
  • @TrevorAMueller I wondered what happened to that coat! I figured I left it at the hotel but wasn't terribly concerned since I picked it up for like 5 bucks at goodwill :D 

I agree, I should be at more shows and hanging out with you more over the next year. 
  • Let me know when / how we can exchange the coat for some RWP books. I'll take your whole stock!

And also, hanging out, of course. :)
  • I'll be in Schaumburg Jan 3 ... good excuse to drive up?
  • @SteveHorton
    Hmm, maybe so Steve! I am on vacation from the 20th-Jan 6th so I would be off work... I might make it over depends on if I can get someone to watch Ein. 

You guys doing anything for New Years?
  • Hey @SteveWallace, Beth and I are going over to a friend's house for New Years (we play board games with them twice a month), but I'm sure more could come. Let me ask and confirm. We would love to see you, dude!

• @TrevorAMueller No pressure, I'm not 100% sure I can come over but it's probably likely.
  • Hey dude, wanted to follow up on our text exchange. We would love for you to come bring in the New Year with us. Let me know if you can make it (ie: get a babysitter for the dog) and we'll make the necessary arrangements.

Will be awesome to see you again, my friend!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}