Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Sale: Used Tablet PCs

edited September 2011 in The Toolbox
My employer is about to get sell off a bunch of used TabletPC computers: Lenovo Thinkpad X60 or X61, with a 12" Wacom digitizer display and stylus, 80-120GB hard drive, 2-4GB RAM, Core Duo processor, no CD drive, Windows XP Tablet. They're selling them for $150, which is a great deal, and a lot cheaper than a Cintiq. Just add Photoshop or Manga Studio for a nice drawing tablet. I'm getting one for myself (to replace my 10" HPad), but I can probably get one or two more if anyone here is interested. Shipping would be extra. Let me know by private message ASAP.

Comments

• Sounds great! I'm wondering if International shipping, bank fees and taxes (?) will eat all the price advantage...
  • I don't know about any fees and taxes, but it'd cost about $50 to ship it across the pond.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh, and I forgot I'd need my own power adapter 'cause electricity in America works differently.

I wonder if it's still a bargain after all this...

Too many question marks, I'm afraid. Also, I had a quick search - seems I can get a used X60 for 200-250€ from within Germany.

• Jason: do these run on android? Looking for something relatively cheap for my kid. She's always stealing my iPad. Figure I could get her her own tablet to have her kid games and all that other stuff on.
  • No, these are Tablet PCs running Windows XP.
  • Jason: Did you get one for yourself? If so, did you manage to install MangaStudio? Because I hear there's some difficulty with the tablet version of Windows. And I may be able to get one from within Germany for 200€, (mor than from your employer, but without postage and taxes and other hassles) but I'd rather know in advance because that's one of two or three things I'm definitely planning to use the thing for.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, I'm using one and loving it.  Plus, I've been using MS EX4 on my old HP tablet (also running Windows XP tablet edition) for a couple years without any problem.  So I don't know what kind of problem you're hearing about, unless it's tied to the German localization of the app or the OS.

The tablets are mostly gone, by the way.  All that's left are a few damaged-but-functional ones with no power adapters.  They're probably going to just recycle those, so if someone wants one for shipping costs, let me know ASAP.
  • Thanks, Jason. Good to know. All I heard was it didn't work on one Windows-based tablet, but if it does on another, I'm fine with it.
  • Those old XP tablet PCs happen to run JoliCloud really well, also. so there's that option.
  • One more of these showed up (a machine someone forgot to turn in). It's a Thinkpad X60 with stylus, spare battery, and power supply, for $150 (plus shipping).
  • Finally got me one of those things, too, via non-Jasony channels that didn't cost Intercontinental postage. After a couple of weeks of mainly using it to rread ecomics, I've copied my latest project onto it and spent the weekend drawing. Very nice!

It even seems to be pressure sensitive, unexpectedly. Which makes it a better drawing tool than my Wacom.
  • @MaxVaehling verrrry interesting. Are you drawing in Manga Studio, Photoshop, something else? Judging by the tech specs of the X60, it seems like it wouldn't handle PS very well ...

Now I wonder if @JasonAQuest still has that one more that "showed up."
  • edited February 2012
    @Max: Almost all TabletPCs use (older) Wacom technology, which is what makes them good for drawing.  I wouldn't waste my time on one of these if it didn't register pressure. :)

@Pj: No more of these left. It shouldn't be too difficult to find one (or another comparable model) on the 'Bay or the 'List, though.  I wouldn't recommend trying to do heavy 'Shop work on one (I do coloring on the desktop Mac with dual monitors), but for drawing standard-resolution line art with a few layers, PS7 runs like a charm on mine.  Or it would if I still used PS for drawing. ;)
  • @JasonAQuest yeah, I've been looking around on eBay and whatnot. I might look into it as a temporary Cintiq gateway. For $150-$200, it might be worth it to increase my productivity.
  • edited February 2012
    @pjperez I don't know about the X60. I looked into the specs a while ago and found them underwhelming, especially since the much better X61 usually appears on ebay for practically the same price. Didn't try to run PS on it, though. To me, PS is mostly an editing tool rather than a drawing tool, so I'm happy to keep it on the computer with the larger and whiter screen. And MS works great on the X61.

German ebay constantly offers both X60 and X61 as well as Fujitsu's Lifebook T4220 that's pretty much in the same league. (According to the specs, it might even be better.) So you should have a good shot at getting one from non-German Ebay (or even non-German non-Ebay)..

@JasonAQuest Well, it took me by surprise. See, my Wacom tablet also uses older Wacom tech, and it isn't pressure sensitive. So I didn't exactly take it for granted.

Gotta say, though - now I know why everybody's so into pressure sensitivity. I did fine without, but this is a whole different feel.
  • @JasonAQuest yeah, I've been looking around on eBay and whatnot. I might look into it as a temporary Cintiq gateway. For $150-$200, it might be worth it to increase my productivity.
    My experience exactly. Without this tablet (and my old one), I wouldn't be able to work during lunch breaks, at the laundromat, or (distractedly) while watching TV, and I'd be making much less progress than I am.
  • MaxVaehling @JasonAQuest thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know what I come up with.
  • I just stumbled across this on NewEgg.com while shopping for something else.  It's the same machine my employer was unloading last year, refurbished by Lenovo with a warranty.  New Egg is now clearing them out for $190.  They have a few other models of Lenovo, Fujitsu, and HP TabletPCs too, but I think this one hits the sweet spot for size and price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246482
  • Thanks for posting that, @JasonAQuest. My netbook just died, so this is a possible cheap-ish option to replace.
  • edited January 2013
    And now it's listed at $175.  I think they may be doing this dutch-auction style, lowering the price until they're gone.  Delay at your peril. :)
  • Now I feel like playing Chicken with the site.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}