Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CAN-CON (Ottawa-Gatineau, Canada)

edited December 2011 in On The Road
It's about ten months out to the next edition of our conven-- errr, conference -- but it seems a good idea to get this thread moving.

We've got a comics track of programming planned again. That much is certain. A lot of things remain unclear, such as who and what's going to be involved in it. Our event's main focus remains "Canadian content in speculative arts and literature", as ever, so Canadian comics creators and anyone from anywhere else who's interested in those creators and their works are welcome.

We're also discussing ideas for "Virtual Guests", so that people who can't or won't travel across half the continent to get to our show can still participate if they're interested.

Looking for ideas, offers, feedback, what-have-you.

Comments

• I'm in Hamilton working on a graphic novel about the myths and legends of the Ojibway of Northern Ontario, Legend of the Sunset People, and I'd love to be involved. Let me know how I can participate! Thanks!
  • edited December 2011

I'd be willing to consider doing a virtual guest thing, if the timing works out. As you know I have some family ties to the region and, even though that's no longer true, I still have a few friends there.

Unfortunately I won't be able to travel overseas to any shows this year; my travel time is already booked for some personal events. 

• A personal life is the bane of artists everywhere.
  • On that note, just saw a tweet from Phil Jimenez who said he hasn't been drawing because he's the full-time caregiver for his mom. Not sure how to feel about that!
  • @marvinmann I don't think I would go so far as to label 'marriage and honeymoon' a bane, but ask me again in 2013 and I might be singing a different tune. ;)
  • congratulations!

• Thanks, Marv! 
  • Jason: Good to hear the news!

Shawn: Do you know Jay Odjick? He's from the Kitigan Zibi - admittedly Algonquin, not Ojibway/Anishnabe - but he may have some useful advice in any case. He's also written, drawn and gotten published Kagagi the Raven, and on the strength of that has been a guest/panelist at the two most recent CAN-CON editions.

In any case, send me a note via e-mail and I'll get you introduced to the organizing committee!
  • On that note, just saw a tweet from Phil Jimenez who said he hasn't been drawing because he's the full-time caregiver for his mom. Not sure how to feel about that!
    A sad thing, that, but I know too well what he's going through. Next Christmas will be the tenth anniversary of my Dad's death and his last months were a hard row for everyone in the family.

• I'd be willing to consider doing a virtual guest thing, if the timing works out. As you know I have some family ties to the region and, even though that's no longer true, I still have a few friends there.
    Jason, we'll talk in e-mail about that ASAP!
  • edited December 2011

Thanks, Dwight. And sure--you know where I live...
  • Unfortunately, due to logistics, it looks like this isn't going to be our year to start the "digital guest" plan.

Keeping it on our "Want to Do in 2013" list.
  • edited August 2012
    If you're interested in passing the poster 'round...

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/dwight_ew/7625393980/
  • We got through the weekend without too many mishaps, and we have people already signing up to run tables and do panels for next year.

Also...we're hosting the Aurora Awards next year. That's THE big science-fiction and fantasy awards for Canada.

We're gonna need a bigger hotel. B-)
  • edited January 2016
    And for anyone interested in an update: 2013 went well enough. The last two years since, likewise. CAN-CON has been steadily growing its paid attendance, and last year Friday alone topped the entire previous year's whole weekend. Which was a pleasant surprise for the organizing committee now led by Derek Kunsken.

I've been less involved in organizing the event, but happy to show up and pay my share of the expenses as a regular attendee.

If you want a look at the website to keep up on what's going on with the 2016 edition...here you go.
  • One further note: finding a hotel able to host CAN-CON inside the downtown core is going to be an issue for the next two years because of the run-up to Canada's 150th "national birthday" party in 2017. It won't be impossible, but difficulties are being expected and confronted. No one's fault, but it's the nature of organizing these sorts of events in general during such times.
  • I really need to go to this, but I'll have to plan for 2017 attendance.
  • I could add you to the Facebook group if you like...?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}