Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Few Housekeeping Notes

edited April 2011 in Site Related
A few tips about Vanilla compared to Beehive -
·          
Categories - There are fewer. 
  •     Do The Work is our basic work related things, a lot like the 'Breaking and Entering' category turned into.
  •     Toolbox is for all our tutorials, Ask an X threads etc.
  •    WorkLogs is, well for Work Logs. Big projects can have their own thread, no biggie. Otherwise keep your daily hems and haws in your main 'My      Name' - Worklog. 
  •    Procrastination Devices is for any non-work related threads. It's open and we won't moderate except for flaming/trolling.
If we find we need more categories we can add them.

Announcements - they're just stickies, Vanilla (the forum software) just has a weird name for them.

Moderation - We'll actually have them! They can ban-hammer but only in the worst of circumstances, otherwise we'll just be keeping house.

@'ing - A great feature, works a lot like twitter @'ing. If you @username in a post somewhere a message will show up in that user's activity log (access that by clicking your name in the upper right hand corner). This is a great way to pull certain people into a conversation. 

Private Messaging - The private messaging system is pretty powerful. You can include multiple people in a single conversation, it basically creates your own little forum instance. 

Mobile - There is a great mobile version of the site, check it out on your phone. It's very, very usable. 

Facebook - We have an app (or will soon after launch) that will display the forum on the facbook app page. I'll provide that info in a separate thread. If you login using your facebook profile you're avatar will update with your facebook avatar. You can like threads on the forum and it will display the like on your facebook profile. 

Tagging -  Works like tagging on other sites, basically use single words that relate to the post. If you're doing something on inking, use inking as one of the tags and maybe drawing. This way we can group threads together for easy reference later. So if I want to find all the threads about writing real quick I can click into the 'writing' tag and it will pull everything tagged with 'writing'. Good fun.

I'll probably be slowly modifying things over the next few weeks, especially once summer rolls round. If you see any issues let me know. 

Comments

• Oh, to mention the main thing we were talking about was rather or not we should keep SequentialWorkshop.com since there's SequentialArtistWorkshop.org. Well I talked to Tom Hart, their executive director, and he's cool with it. We'll post a link in the header or footer somewhere to push people that way in case there's confusion but I don't see it being much of a problem.
  • You just like that SW shares initials with you, don't you?  Which is why I wanted JuicyArtQueries.com (but didn't dare suggest it).
  • Excuse me while I set up a forum somewhere called Miscellaneous Verbalizing. :D
  • @JasonAQuest it's true, I can make a single logo design for this and my personal site. It just saves time
    ;-)
  • Note on private messaging: It may not appear as though a private message has been sent upon clicking the button but it most likely has. I just double-barreled Steve by mistake.
  • @CaseWagner :) yup, it did that to me earlier when I sent one to someone. There's a slight lag in the posting.
  • Is that Hutch Owen Tom Hart?  I met him once years back in Seattle.
  • Yup same guy.
  • Thanks for setting this up Steve!  One question — is the forum indexed by Google?  Personally, I'd prefer it wasn't; it always made me uncomfortable to find posts I'd made on P&P when they'd turn up on Google searches.  I felt like I should speak with less candor if everything I was saying was very easy to locate from outside the forum.
  • @Brandonseifert hmm, it might be. I'll check, if it is I should be able to turn it off.
  • You know, this place already seems more alive than P&P has for quite a while.
  • @DerekMcCulloch it's the new I think.
  • edited April 2011
    @BrandonSeifert, @SteveWallace I googled a line from a thread post, and it didn't show.

Thinking about it, I could post this in the "Do the Work" thread, too, since it's about all the work I did...
  • @MaxVaehling that's probably because the domain's so new more than anything else.

@BrandonSeifert I've updated the robots file to tell all search engines not to index our discussion posts. It will index the discussion titles, that way people looking for future tutorials or whatever can still find them but it won't index anything you say inside the discussion. 
  • Thanks Steve!  I appreciate that.
  • When the computer overlords come to take over the world, it will be Steve Wallace who stands against them.
  • @SteveWallace: Did you say that you were working on an option to let people rename their TwitBook logins to show their real name instead?  If so, should we refrain (until that's ready) from beating people up for using their FaceTwit handles to log in (e.g. Ricktickboom)?
  • A tip about announcements, you can unsticky them, and have them flow like normal posts by clicking the options button on the post, then clicking dismiss. they still will keep the "Announcement" label but now will only float to the top with new posts, useful for if you have already read the rules
  • FYI to everyone, I've added a spoilers option. You can use spoilers by inserting [_spoilers][_/spoilers] without the _ . You can then insert whatever you want in there, note if it's NSFW beyond the spoiler etc. 

The downside is that I had to disable the emotes to make it work but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff. I'll enable emotes once the issues between the two add-ons is resolved.
  • I am no fan of emoticons.  In fact, I was looking for the "do not apply emoticons" option but didn't see one.
  • but Jimmie, you don't like :) and :( and :D or ;) ??????
  • No, I don't use them.  I use "Hahah!" a LOT at the end of my comments.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes. I've noticed. :/

:p
  • One thing I have noticed... I don't see email alerts to these replies.
  • You change preferences by clicking on your name and then, well, changing stuff.
  • Yep, I did all that.  and I checked the appropriate boxes. Still... no notifications.
  • Yeah, there aren't really direct notifications. Though, I can turn on a sort of notification but it's thread wide not just direct reply. You might be able to turn on notifications when people @ you, I'll have to check on that though.
  • @SteveWallace - yeah, I noticed that when I couldn't reply directly *to* someone's comment. Basically, I'm left to *discover* things when I poke my head in the door.  Nothing bad, per say.  But it's a feature I miss when I got my head down to the art table.
  • @Jimmie_Robinson yeah I miss it to. I'm trying to figure out a solution.
  •  @SteveWallace - what about? - http://vanillaforums.org/addon/replyto-plugin - seems to be the only option they give but it would do it no?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}