Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek's Consolidated Self-Promotion Log

edited December 2011 in Work Logs
I haven't been very good at keeping up any of the different project logs I've started here and there, so I thought I might as well get a clue and just put all work-related shit into one log.  So here's something cool:

The St. Louis Repertory Theatre announces its Ignite! festival, featuring the first public workshop reading of Stagger Lee, a musical based on teh GN of the same name, adapted by Derek McCulloch, Stew, and Heidi Rodewald.

Comments

• And our own Jason Franks gave GTA a great fanfare at Comicbooked.com.
  • Ah yes. The writer of that article is my editor at Tastes Like Comics. I also mentioned @BrandonSeifert and @JustinJordan--that was in the previous instalment fo the article.

I kind of wish that I had made the whole thing into a separate article; only a few snippets of what I wrote made it into the comicbooked piece. 

• Just got an extraordinary back cover blurb for Gone to Amerikay.  I guess I can't say more about it yet, but it's pretty damn good.
  • and no doubt well deserved

• Amerikay is my most anticipated book of 2012.
  • No pressure, then.
  • None at all.
  • Yesterday, Colleen reported that the GN buyer for a chain store had contacted her to say he was ten minutes into reading the galley and wanted to know if he could buy some of the original art.  He kept up a correspondence as he was reading the book, which ended up with him in (manly, I'm sure) tears over the ending.  I think this all bodes pretty well for our order at that store.

In other news, all of y'all should see what Peruzzo's doing with Displaced Persons.  He's going to put himself on the map with this book.
  • Got the designs for the dust jacket, covers, title pages, etc., from DC yesterday -- absolutely gorgeous design work.  Best of all the back cover included very complimentary blurbs from a novelist whose work I enjoy, a TV/comics/movies writer I'm sure you're all quite familiar with and, best of all, the guitarist from my favourite band in the whole wide world.
  • Hey, it's up on the Amazon page, so I'm free to quote here.  Check it the hell out:

"GONE TO AMERIKAY is not just a great book, it's an important book. In a
    marketplace where every season brings another supposed Big Event, this
    is the real deal. It uses the immigrant experience to talk about us,
    who we are, how and why we came here, with some echoes of where we might
    be going. The art is superb, containing some of the best and most
    evocative images of the period you're ever going to see, and the story
    is wide in scope but intimate in its details as it flashes forward and
    backward in time. Forget the hype, this is going to be THE book of
    2012."—J. Michael Straczynski (SUPERMAN:YEAR ONE, BABYLON FIVE,
    CHANGELING)

• and outstandinG!

• She is off to the printer.  Now I have to wait two and a half months to see the book.
  • edited January 2012
    And let's just add:

“Gone To Amerikay’s a wonderful story, lushly illustrated, full of music and
    passion, twists and turns, beautifully evoking the Irish immigrant
    experience in three different times and sewing them all together
    brilliantly at the end. A real treat, for those who love New York
    history, or just a great story.”
    — Kevin Baker
    (Paradise Alley, Dreamland, LUNA PARK)

And my personal favourite:

“Ghost story or detective fiction? History or mythology? Drawing on the
    freewheeling spirit of Irish and Irish-American popular culture, Gone
    To Amerikay is all of these. A tale that takes place simultaneously in
    1870, 1960 and 2010, it recognizes that though enormous changes have
    taken place over time in the relationship between the New World and the
    Old Country, some things, like love, justice and respect, are timeless
    and imperative. With thrilling illustrations, rich with the color
    and mood of these passions, you will find yourself unable to avoid
    lingering at length on them before picking up the story again.”
    — Philip Chevron
    The Pogues

It was Philip's magnificent
    song "Thousands Are Sailing" that directly inspired this book, and
    having his endorsement on the dust jacket is an unspeakable thrill.
    Also, he totally missed a calling in product marketing, I think.

• that's just outstanding. Comes from working towards high ambitions.
  • Almost forgot...Colleen posted our dust jacket design.  Go look.
  • My incredibly wonderful and bizarre recent experience...in addition to writing the book for the Stagger Lee musical, I'm writing lyrics.  Yesterday I got a half-dozen demo tracks from Stew and Heidi Rodewald of my lyrics set to music.  So weird to think that in a couple of months I'm going to watch people whose job it is to sing words I wrote.
  • Fun! I did some musical theatre in highschool, so that'd be a trip.
  • edited February 2012
    Everybody give @Craig_A_Taillefer a big round of applause for finishing the pencils on his story for Project R.
  • Jonathan La Mantia dug up some old Comic Relief party photos.  I posted a couple on the Facebook:

imageimage

Me, Shepherd Hendrix, Erik Larsen, and Jimmie at the CBLDF signing in December 07.

Shep, Gene Yang, the late Rory Root, me, and Steve Leialoha at the local Eisner nominees' party in August 2007.
  • Gene is a wonderful guy. 

• Colleen has Tweetered that she has copies of Gone to Amerikay in hand.  I don't have mine, but she's closer to the source than I am...hoping I get them tomorrow!
  • edited March 2012
    imageMe and Greg Espinoza in front of the original Pug cover art at the Cartoon Art Museum, at the pre-Image-Expo reception.  For some reason I look like I'm about to hock a loogie.  Swell!

(Photo by Branwyn Bigglestone)
  • it looks like Greg is wearing your suit. did he borrow it or something?

Do you ALWAYS wear black?

oh and i like the stach in pic one. It oddly makes you look Hispanic.
  • Well, often.  Not always.  The shirt in the moustache pic is actually dark blue, and I think the suit is maybe brown, though it all seems to have registered as black in the photo.

And Greg saved up his pennies and bought his own jacket, I guess.  I think he's wearing jeans with it.
  • A-fixin' to announce the first two Gone to Amerikay signing events very soon, on different sides of the country.  Details on the first one should be coming up later tonight.
  • Okay, the first one's announced:  we're having a pre-release signing at The Escapist in Berkeley on March 21, one week before any other store has copies of the book.  FB event page here.  Come join us!  Two weeks from tomorrow!
  • Look here to see a bunch of questions that Jason Franks asked me and the replies I gave thereto.
  • terrific questions and answers from both of you.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}