Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do The Work - Your Daily Check in

edited May 2011 in Do The Work
Again, sorry guys the previous thread got deleted when I was cleaning up the  tagging issue. We lost the a day's worth of check-ins.

This is your daily check in. Post your accomplishments, your failures and your futures.

Comments

• Well it's been eat, sleep, day job, pencil/ink/pasteup/layouts and repeat for me, sprinkle in a few requests for illustrations and that's what I've been doing lately.
    Tomorrow will see me embarking on the beginning of an SFX makeup job, bascially it'll be creating a reusable latex face for someone.
  • We've just moved to a new place, and the dust is finally starting to settle. We still have boxes, but I've started to get back into some of the projects I'm working on. I'm in the middle of some anthology stories, and a couple of longer things, all in various stages of completion. Looking forward to getting back into a regular routine.

• Doing The Work today, just not the writing. I've booked a car rental for an anime con Trevor and I are attending in June, traded e-mails with an editor and soon will be heading to the library to pick up some research material. Also the Quantum of Solace video game for the Wii, which is frakking awesome.
  • Saw the roughs today for two short stories I've written. I've been given the go-ahead to start working on the dialogue for one of them (there was a page added which means I'll have to make some adjustments here and there). 

• Letting collaborators know how unavailable I'll be this summer. Traveling from the Bay Area to Idaho for much of the summer. I'll take drawing matter, and skippy, my computer, but no scanner. Home every three weeks for a few days.

I guess that's doing the work. Hi, I'll be unreliable.

• Finished the new draft of Bloody Waters. It's about 9000 words and forty-odd pages lighter. Still have to proofread, but the hard part is done, finally.

Tomorrow a day off.

Next week, probably a solid day or two of proofreading and then it's back to comics.
  • Finished some lettering, and did a bunch of research and thinking into vampires. Like ya do.
  • finished coloring a page this morning. Sorry can't show :(
  • Yesterday, I inked a bit of the Human Cello. Then I went back to the
    pages from the same project that I'd scanned in the day before and did some Photoshop tweaking to them.

Then I thought about the running order of the stories for the erotic anthology I'm pulling together and
    put some thought into what artists I have floating around that might be
    able to do some work on the incomplete stories.

I also paid the invoice on a print job for book 5 of Oceanus Procellarum. I will actually have the complete series in print for SPX.

• edited April 2011
    Sick as a dog so skipping Fluke today. Did a bit of writing last night, but just re-read it and deleted all of it. Will try again today. Thanks to Brandon thinking about vampires, I'm thinking about my vampire mythology and whether to actively use more of it or continue to keep things in the background.

• For personal reasons I found it necessary to go out and drink heavily with the Wayward Boys last night, but first I got a little inking done on "Breakfast" (a JAQrabbit Tale).
  • Started playing around with Blender last night, looking into doing 3d sets for Adventures in pixels, its not the most straight forward thing to me yet.. but hey, we shall see.
  • Have you tried SketchUp, Scott? Blazing fast for mockups.

• "Thanks to Brandon thinking about vampires, I'm thinking about my vampire mythology and whether to actively use more of it or continue to keep things in the background."

:)

My thought on it:  Does it matter to the plot?  Does it enrich the world your working in to reveal it?  If it doesn't do one of those things, it may be better to leave it out.  (i.e. MIDICHLORIANS.)
  • This is not quite current news, but it hasn't been mentioned around here yet, so...

I did a small series of interviews with comic book creators which was hosted at the Crystal Fractal Comics news blog. The complete set of interviews is right here. Scroll through, and you'll find a few familiar names from P&P and this site too.

Gradually, they're going to start being housed over at www.comicbookinterviews.com as well.

It was a fun experience for me, and I may start it back up again later in the year.

• @BrandonSeifert - It hasn't mattered to the plot so far which is why I've only doled out the minimum. But I think it could enrich the world and I have a plot idea that would require quite a bit. It's not so much a question of whether, but when. And the right way to get it out there. I hate big info dumps.  

Today I worked on a new store. Ended up not liking the free version at Big Carter so much. You get so much more at StoreEnvy for the same price. http://updownstudio.storenvy.com/   
  • @DinoCaruso those interviews were great--and I'm not just saying that because one of them was with me. ;) One of the most fun interviews I've ever participated in.

Received some Zycorax layouts from Paul Abstruse today. Looking sharp! I'm going to enjoy this one.
  • Yesterday, I fixed a few pages on Viva Lars Vegas - swapping out old artwork for something that works better. The story is almost complete and just needs an editor to go over the lot and tell me where the writing isn't working. I had a conversation with an old co-worker who has volunteered to do just that.

I was at a housewarming party and had a conversation with an artist about comics last night. It wasn't exactly making comics, but it certainly was nice to talk to a fellow traveler with more or less the same points of view.

Also a profile of Rodolphe Topffer that I wrote up went live this morning.
  • Touched base with several editors today. I need to get some scripting done later tonight. A few projects are getting close to deadlines.
  • edited April 2011

I got a reasonable amount done this weekend, all on anthology projects.

*paged out/plotted a 12 page story.

*started scripting a 9 page story from the artist's roughs.

*made some corrections on finished letters for a 5 page story.

*emailed editors, sent off a few submissions, and did some housekeeping type stuff on other projects.

Let's see if I can keep up this pace. Fingers crossed.

• edited April 2011
    Today I went to Tranquility Base studio here in town and squatted in one of the open desks to get some stuff done:

• Almost finished a new draft of the next script based on feedback, including a conversation I had with the EMT who consults on the medical stuff for the book
    • Assembled more photo refs and notes for the concept art the script still needs
    • Started a new Basecamp account to manage Witch Doctor, and then input all the Milestones and To-Dos I'm aware of so far.
    • Did some editing to our website, including adding an Issuu preview of the pages released so far
    • Filled out an email interview
    • Plugged the book on a web forum
    • Sent some important (and not so important) emails
  • Yesterday, I took all six of my finalized stories for the erotic anthology, PDF'd them and rolled
    them up into a single PDF that i sent through Lulu for rapid
    prototyping. I ordered two copies, one for each of the people who have
    offered editorial assistance. I should have them in-hand by the middle
    of next week.

In a lot of ways, Lulu represents the old project management saw about "Cheap, good, fast - pick two." It's fast and it's good, but man, it's not cheap. But for rapid prototyping something that you want to hand to an initial reader, it cannot be beat. And the obvious benefit is that a reader can write notes on a paper copy and hand it back, which is much more difficult with a PDF.
  • Last night I wrote a JAQrabbit Tale, the first in a few months. A silent slapstick. Just 1 page (2 if I make the payoff panel a splash page). Good to exercise those muscles a little again.
  • Did the business today. Got a new (smaller) plastic tote for con supplies, mailed sample comics to an editor, mailed signed comics to Mr. Mann, got my box of comics ready for my library gig this weekend.
  • Lately, I have NOT been doing the work... this concerns me.  I've done more pencils on book(s) Yes... PLURAL..  Anyway, more later... but this is my check-in for Tuesday.
  • The past few days have been strictly about research for me.  I have three weeks do read the 2k pages of background info I borrowed from the library.  I've already filled a notebook with names and dates.  Next up is setting up a meeting with my artist and making a production game plan.
  • edited April 2011
    Tonight was my biweekly Do The Laundry / Do The Work night.  While the clothes tumbled, I rough-drew the story I wrote last night.  It's two pages; I couldn't resist doing the final panel as a splash page.

• Still proofing this fucking novel. Two chapters to go and I'm climbing the walls, if not falling asleep at the keyboard. I do think it's reading well, though.

I've formatted the 17 pages of art that came in from Jose Pi and I'm ready to start lettering, just as soon  as I can unload this god damned ms...

My brain hurts.

• I used the time in jury duty to make some sketch cards: Batman, The Crow, Jim Gordon and others I can't remember right now.
  • More pencils today.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}