Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn, I Wish I Drew This Well

A place to post art that takes your breath away.

Hank Ketchum's Dennis the Menace had its moments of humor before it got tired...  but at his best, Ketchum had a mastery of line that has me taking shallow panting breaths. Just look at the way he goes from thick to thin, artfully balancing the decorative qualities of his line with its descriptive virtues.

And look at what he edits, what he includes, and what he omits. Like, check out Dennis's neck.

Comments

Alex Toth's version of Black Canary. The lack of borders makes the page look busy, but then, canary's quick take down of this bigger adversary should be busy, quick, faster then the eye can follow.
  • Wanna see where Milton Caniff, Alex Toth and Hugo Pratt got their insight into clean lines and liquid blacks. Noel Sickles.

• these are really great. That Toth page, I've never seen, but WOW. This is a great idea Marv.
  • @marvinmann - I actually see your line the most in the socks and shoes of Dennis' buddy there. The kinda open zigzag fold is something I've noticed a lot while "coloring" Okita, and the sneakers being expressed by those chunky blacks seems like your style a bit too. 

(Also always loved that Toth page. That double heel stomp is the best.) 

• I've always loved Jamie Hewlett's work.  Like Mad Magazine and I dunno... something all his own. Dark and sinister.

• I wish I drew this well.
  • Make some contributions Anthony!

Josh, I will cop to being influenced by these gents.

Jimmie, Hewlett seems to hit a nice place between standard adventure style, and just plain comicky fun. Mad Mag and... something isn't a bad description.

Jason, you just need to work with a thicker line and you'll get there.
  • Toth demonstrating a classic jujutsu move there, as imagined by an artist who read it described in a script by a writer who never tried it for himself...

But damn, he looks good in doing it.

• So. More.

I was about17-18 when Jeff Jones' Idyll was appearing on the pages of the National Lampoon. It wasn't the funniest strip, but there was nothing else like it. I was absolutely flummoxed by the play of black and white across the panels. I couldn't figure out how he did it. A couple of years later my own compositional skills emerged and settled, and I was less mystified by what was happening, but to this day I remain awed.

• That distinctive sense of composition worked in paintings as well. In part, this is because Jones painted with a strong feel for values.

• edited September 2012
  • But lest you think its only the play of black and white that intrigues me, check this out:

Daniel Torres' creation Rocco Vargas is a major source of inspiration for Punch MacBolt and the Pirate Lovers... not that Tyne draws like this, but I did show her some of this a few years back.

Shaun Tan, and the way he combines colors and the imagery he paints.

Ladronn, one of my personal art obsessions.
  • I love me some Philip Bond...

Mattotti, I wish I had that sense of color
  • One of the modern Ink Masters, Eduardo Risso

• I wish more people appreciated Risso. 100 Bullets isn't the same book without him, something Azz freely admits.
    Paco Roca, one of the best living cartoonists, Eddie Campbell mentions him here.
    Sadly unavailable in english.

Aaaand at last

Mick Fucking McMahon

• Alex Niño, discovered his work illustrating a VERY badly written paperback when I was in 6th grade, and his linework is by far the biggest influence on me... his use of weight and arabesques is just magnificent and so underrated.

• I totally see the Niño influence in your work @Rantz
  • So much great work. Not a loser in the bunch. For me, Mattoti and Nino are the most astonishing of these. Risso amazes. Tan is extraordinary as well.
  • @Jorge, I wish I was half as good... no matter how much progress I've made, looking at his art always sends me back to the woodshed.
  • @Marv, I thought, of everyone here, you would have appreciation for Niño that vectors with mine. :)
  • Oh yes. he's another one where I just can't figure out how he thinks that way... on top of having the technical chops to pull it off.
  • edited September 2012
    Mattotti's color sense. I agree with Jorge. It is amazing! Hot and cold colors... and he refuses to confine himself to a simple palette. And the drawing underneath has a real cartoonish verve.
  • These threads depress me.
    Not only does it remind me how crude my art is compared to them, but also how far behind I am in my career compared to what they did in the same amount of years.
  • Jeff Jones once said that looking at Rembrandt made him want to paint. Looking at Whistler made him want to quit.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}