Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

November 2012 "National Graphic Novel Writing Month" Challenge!

edited November 2012 in Work Logs
I'm not interested in writing novels. I'm interested in writing comics — but as I've been talking about recently, I'm finding it really hard to writing consistently without a deadline, and I don't have any set deadlines at the moment.

So I'm mulling over trying a NaNoWriMo-style challenge for myself in the month of November. November has 30 days, 22 of them are weekdays. If I try to write 5 pp. a day every weekday, that's 110 pages — five issues of a 22 pp. comic. If I write 6 pp. every weekday, that's 132 pages — six 22 pp. comics. Both of those are respectable graphic novel/miniseries lengths, without being super-long. (For comparison, writing 12 pp. every weekday would get you 264 pp. — a Watchmen-length piece.)

Like I said, I'm mulling it over. What do other people think? Does this sound like a challenge others would be interested in? I see there have been "NaGraNoWriMo" challenges in the past, but they focused on getting at least 48 pages — and when people are doing half that much in 24 hours for 24 Hour Comic Day, that seems underachieving.

Comments

• Anybody? Anybody?

The more I think about it, the better an idea it sounds on my end.
  • I did the Scriptfrenzy a few years back. The targets are much easier but it's basically NaNoWriMo for script.

I only did that because a friend asked me to. I don't find it necessary or particularly helpful and I made the target 100 pages easily. 
  • I also wrote the first draft of a 100pp GN during ScriptFrenzy a few years ago. 

That said, I'd take up the challenge with you, Brandon, if you're serious.
  • The only thing graphic-novel-size that I have ready on my to-write list is a complicated research-intensive story that wouldn't lend itself to a get-er-done approach to writing (which is why it's sitting on my to-write list).  But I could take a page-count approach to cranking out episodes for JAQrabbit Tales.  I need to sleep on it before committing.
  • I could try and finish Savant in that time frame, which isn't stricly a GN in a month, but I do have 110 or so pages to go.
  • Three days later Justin's finished :)
  • @Owen_Jones was thinking the same thing :)
  • The only thing graphic-novel-size that I have ready on my to-write list is a complicated research-intensive story that wouldn't lend itself to a get-er-done approach to writing (which is why it's sitting on my to-write list).  But I could take a page-count approach to cranking out episodes for JAQrabbit Tales.  I need to sleep on it before committing.
    The point of these challenges is not to use something that is already on your to-write list. It's to just GO. WRITE. NOW.
  • Well I'm not about to further put off something already on my list to chase after something else for a month.
  • @JasonAQuest exactly why I have better things to do, either way. See also: 24-hour-comic-day.
  • Motion is carried.
  • edited October 2012
    OK, sounds like some interest.  This is your baby, @BrandonSeifert, so what are the ground rules?
  • I consider this every year, and never commit because there's always something more urgent that needs to be done as well.

Well, I do have some GN-size ideas that I've been putting off for pretty much that reason. (Actually, the size I had in mind was more like 96 pages rather than 110.)

Depending on the time zone, I still have between an hour (here) and
    however much  wherever to make up my mind. I'd have to finish some webcomics first, but
    apart from that...

• Okay.

Justin and Quest are both doing piecemeal things. I have no problem with that. I also see no reason not to exclude using ideas you've previously come up with.

If you want to do this, set a length that's going to challenge you — either by itself, or because of the rest of your workload. As Jason's example pointed out, a one-size-fits-all page count isn't going to fit everyone. You have till 12:01 AM December 1 (your local time) to complete it.

Post about it here. Either in its own worklog, or in this thread. Let us know how you're doing.

Remember: This is a writing challenge. The point is to CHALLENGE yourself. It's a creative exercise, something to get you to produce in a way or at a volume you otherwise wouldn't, for one whole month.

Our Mantra Number One: Done is good, done is beautiful.

Our Mantra Number Two: Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good.

Post in here to let us know you're taking the challenge. And... GO! (If you're on the East Coast, like I am now, or east of here.)
  • Assuming that "no reason not to exclude" is an unintended double negative... I'm in.  My goal: 20 new JAQrabbit Tales, for a total of 100 pages (most of them so far being 3-7 pages each).  I'll post updates on both numbers.

I'm also going to keep poking away at drawing in the meantime, so I'm going to try taking advantage of the end of Daylight Saving (at last!), and continue getting up at the same real time every morning (an hour earlier), giving me an "extra" hour without (too many) distractions each day.
  • edited November 2012
    Allrighty. Screw it. I'm in. It's 745p on 11/1 and I have a working title and a concept - at 1201a on 12/01 I want to have a 22-24 page pilot script for "Solar Harvest". 

IT. IS. ON.
  • @JasonAQuest I was on about four hours of sleep and three hours of cross-country jetlag when I typed that last night. I'm happy it even turned out to be English.
  • edited November 2012
    There are plenty of websites out there with writing counters — but most seem to be based on a word-count, not a page-count. Here's one I found that doesn't specify what it's counting. It's also an HTML/CSS counter, so it works well when you paste it into the forum.

Example, for the 132 pp/six issues I'd like to write this month (I added the bit that says "pages" to the code):

0 / 132 pages] (0.00%)

Actually, there are a number of good meters on this site.
  • So. Who all is in? Sound off, and tell us your writing goal (even if you talked about it before yesterday).

I'm in, for 132 pages — the equivalent of six 22 pp. issues. Mine is going to be the first volume of my long-delayed project Supernatural Geographic.
  • edited November 2012
    3/100 pages scripted, for what's going to be a 6-page story.  So, um 0.5 stories out of 20.

3 / 100
  • Still on the fence - I'll let you know as soon as I can. And yes, that means I'll have to make up for lost time! Challenge, right?

If I join the challenge, it'll be either for the Hum Buck special I've been meaning to do since I introduced Hum and his gang in Conny Van Ehlsing back in 2010 or so. (That would be Fumetto Nero size, or 96pp.) Or the Codename: Olga strip I've been putting off since 2006. (Length unknown - it's one of the variables that keep me from submitting right away.)
  • I feel like a slacker only targeting 22-24 pages but I got a lot of crap going on and I decided this was a good way to even get that much done. Otherwise I'd keep putting off starting. I haven't even outlined it yet. No idea for a plot - just a concept to hang a plot on. If I can take that to a finished first "episode", of whatever length, then I'm chalking it up as a huge success. I figure the month will be half over before I actually get to script pages. Or, who knows, I may get off on a tear and write a whole GN. Solar Harvest is the working title. Think Treasure of the Sierra Madre in space. Also Storm Chasers meets Firefly. More details in my worklog later. Gotta go to the day job nao.
  • I'm in. Because of the nature of the work I'm doing now, I haven't finished a damn thing in a long time (quite a lot of work being, of course, ongoing and unfinishable) despite a reasonably high output of work. This annoys me.

So...

I'm going to finish Savant this month. I have 29 of an anticipated 140 or so pages done. So the goal here is to just power through and finish. Even if it sucks. I'll start the count at zero for my progress.
  • Did a little organizing of things regarding Solar Harvest last night. And spent some quality time with Google Images looking up Russian spacecraft. Trying to decide whether to outline or just start a script and see where it goes.
  • Finished "White-out / Black-out", a 5-page story about Jay and me being trapped at home without power in a blizzard.  1 story out of 20.

5 / 100
  • @GregCarter The spirit of NaNoWriMo would be to just start writing. For what it's worth. :)
  • edited November 2012
    Broke ground on Supernatural Geographic: Making History (working title) pages today, after outlining the first 22 pp. issue. Also tightened up the outline some more.
  • Woo hoo! Three pages of Solar Harvest script is done. And have an artist for the "pilot" issue. 
    I need to get me a fancy counter...
  • edited November 2012
    Sigh.

I was trying to avoid this, but as I said in Brandon's worklog it seems like a damn fine idea.
    I'm already up to my ears in other work, but I have to admit one of the things on my list IS to write a series for *after* Five Weapons.  I already have the concept and idea, but I haven't gone beyond that.

I guess it's time to see what I can really do with it.

5 issues.  22 pages each.  Thus, a standard 110 pages.
    And yes, I'm starting out 4 days late.  Challenge accepted.

My project:  TACO TRUCK
    As of tonight, I'm just setting up shop.  No actual writing, yet.  So my counter is empty.
    (I assume I keep making a new counter every time by inputing new page data?)

I guess I should also make a new Worklog.
    I tend to make work logs for each title I'm working on (Bomb Queen, Five Weapons, et.) but I'm thinking I should do something more like a catch-all private Worklog. I'd like to delete my old work logs, because my OCD begs for simplicity and less strings floating around, however I guess the moderators won't allow that.
  • Yay, Jimmie! Go for it. 

Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}