Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lissau's workbench (summer 2014)

edited July 2014 in Work Logs
It's been months since I've begun work on anything new, but I should be knee-deep in comics projects for the next month and into 2013. So, time for a worklog. We'll see if I can maintain interest.

I have a few completed comics in the can waiting for publication right now. The first is "The Search for Blackberry's Treasure," to be featured in STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE #3 and Ape's FCBD flipcomic, along with one of my other SS comics. The name of the artist escapes me right now (we never met or communicated), and the book is months late so I don't know when it's coming out. Hopefully soon. It's a cute story, little girl fluff.

I'm much prouder of the second piece: FIELD TRIP, to be published in THE GRAPHIC TEXTBOOK next year. Art by our own @marvinmann. You've seen him post pages in his "Furries" discussion. The story is finished; now the curriculum committee is creating the questions-after-the-chapter section for our piece, just like a traditional textbook.

I just revised an 8-page horror tale called SWEET DREAMS that will be drawn by Christine Larsen for OMEGA COMICS PRESENTS (thanks again, @pjperez). Christine and I first worked together on Shrek and then again on the first Reading With Pictures anthology. Although those were cute stories, she really excels at horror, and that's what this story is all about. It was going to be self-published, but having it run in OCP gives us some better exposure and helps PJ put together a top-selling book (we hope).

I was supposed to start writing STRANGER, a 20-page sci-fi tale of middle-school hijinks, this weekend -- but I've been distracted by a cold and other real-life stuff. Nothing serious, promise. This will be drawn by the fabulous Dirk Tiede, a former Chicagoan who now lives in Boston and is one of my favorite people in comics. Much of what I know about exhibiting in Artist Alley, I learned watching Dirk move merch. And yeah, he makes good comics, too. Check out his Paradigm Shift graphic novel. Whether we self-publish or have this published elsewhere hasn't been decided.

Finally, the big project of 2013-14 will be OLD WOUNDS, my OGN with @johnbivens. To be published by PJ Perez's Pop! Goes The Icon, it's going to be a game-maker for the three of us. Just you watch and see.

Comments

• For me, Doing the Work also means Selling the Work, and that means cons and other public appearances. I've got a few scheduled and tentatively scheduled already.

March 16: A one-hour library presentation on making comics with Gene Ha at the Indian Trails Public Library in Wheeling, IL. Gene and I have appeared at libraries together before and we hit it off, and he approached me to do this gig with him. Time to be determined.

April: C2E2. I expect I'll be manning the RWP booth again with Josh Elder and @TrevorAMueller. Trevor and I rocked the house last year while Josh had meetings and ran programs, and it worked out great.

May 4: FCBD at Comix Revolution in Mt. Prospect, IL.

May: ACen. I hope to be invited back as a guest (fifth or sixth time?), along with Trevor, @stevehorton, Alan Evans and Bivens. We should know by March.

July: Trevor, Horton, Alan and I will be among the guests of honor at Anime Midwest, a 3,000-person show at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare (where ACen and WWC are held). Not expecting monster sales, but they're putting us up for the weekend and at the very least we'll eat well and do some gambling. Right, gents?

August: Wizard World Chicago. My best show of the year, sales-wise. 'Nuff said.

September: May do the new Cincy Comicon, which actually is in Kentucky. Despite being a new show organized by Tony Moore, the guest list is impressive and I want to be part of it.

I'd also like to do the Las Vegas con, if they hold a second one and it doesn't conflict with Trevor's wedding.

Right now, that's it.
  • "Workbench" is a good title for this.

Nice to see you have your ducks all lined up.  I just did a signing at a comic store in San Francisco with Landry Walker (writer for many comics, in particular Supergirl, Danger Club, LIttle Gloomy, et.)  Nice hearing more discussion from the writer's POV.  Made me think of you, Russell.  
  • I love landry's work. His SUPERGIRL series was perfect for the intended age group.
  • Speaking of selling the work....
    In an effort to simplify my collection and raise some business capital, I'm looking to sell a run of UNCANNY XMEN from the 1980s, issue 200-242, minus a few already sold. All are in NM, bagged since I bought them new decades ago. If you're interested in any or all, email me or post here. I'd rather sell them to a friend than a stranger on eBay or a dealer. And I'm not looking for much, only $3-5 an issue in most cases.
  • Russell, did you guys get confirmed by C2E2 yet? I have an application in, but I didn't think they were doing selections until next week.

And as far as I know, the Las Vegas Comic Expo is returning for sure in 2013. If you haven't yet, I'd sign up for email updates on their website: http://lasvegascomicexpo.com/
  • Application is in, I believe, for c2e2.
  • By the way, you know you can count on me for signings.
  • @RussellLissau you know if you come down for LVCE, unless you want 8 feet to yourself, you have a table waiting for you. :)
  • If I come out I will exhibit, but I appreciate the hospitality.
  • I just did some year end bookkeeping and discovered my con sales were up 38 percent this year from last. A really strong c2e2 and Akon accounted for about 1k in additional sales.
  • edited December 2012
    Strawberry Shortcake, especially the digests that I almost always sell as a pair, was a big reason for the success at both of those shows and at WWC. I work that little red-headed girl hard.
  •  I work that little red-headed girl hard.
    Whoa.
  •  I work that little red-headed girl hard.
    Phrasing!
  • And people say I'm bad. O:-)
  • I'm not bad, I just write that way.
  • I think Russell is safe just making an off-hand comment on an obscure web site. :)
  • I get C2E2 emails all the time.  Russell, sell me on this show.

I'm FAR away on the West coast.  Is this something worth flying over for?  I *want* to do New York Comic-Con mainly to meet and greet East coast fans but I'm not sure the money is there even at NYCC.

• @Jimmie_Robinson I do NYCC every year, and here's my take on it: Unless you have a publisher to hook you up with a table, and someone to crash on their couch, it is unlikely you will make money at the show.

NYCC is a huge show with a lot of sales opportunity. However, the tables in AA are $450 each and most of the official convention hotels are around $300 per night. Add air fair onto that, and you're already $10k in the hole before you've walked in the convention center doors.

C2E2 is not dissimilar, but it's slightly less expensive. I think tables are $400 each, for example.
  • No way id sell you on the show, jimmie, knowing your distaste for cons and the cost. Spend the dough on your bride.
  • @Jimmie_Robinson I do NYCC every year, and here's my take on it: Unless you have a publisher to hook you up with a table, and someone to crash on their couch, it is unlikely you will make money at the show.

NYCC is a huge show with a lot of sales opportunity. However, the tables in AA are $450 each and most of the official convention hotels are around $300 per night. Add air fair onto that, and you're already $10k in the hole before you've walked in the convention center doors.

C2E2 is not dissimilar, but it's slightly less expensive. I think tables are $400 each, for example.
    Er, I realize I'm an outlier, but I made a shit ton of money at NYCC. Pricewise, the entire cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 (no airfare, stayed at hotel with several people, split table cost with Tradd) and profited....well, a lot.

Jimmie has the advantage of having a lot of product he can move, and I suspect he'd probably be able to come somewhere within striking distance of break even, assuming he keeps the travel costs down.
  • Yeah, the travel and hotel is the only hold up on my end.
    Plus, I'm married now and my wife wants to go.
    Adding more logs to the fire is that my wife's daughter (my step-daughter) attends college in New York.
    Thus, the entire thing would turn into an expensive vacation romp instead of me sleeping on the floor of a fellow comic creator's hotel and traveling by Greyhound bus or something, hahaha!

I still want to go.  As Justin points out I have product and an entirely new audience on the East coast.
    Just how to get there.  I'll continue to scour the airfare sales and options.  The earlier I get the flight the better.

Anyway... this is Russell's workbench, let him talk about his work and ideas.
  • "the entire thing would turn into an expensive vacation romp instead of me sleeping on the floor of a fellow comic creator's hotel"

This is what happens when I do out of town cons - the whole family goes. The last Otakon is the only time that I made most of it back. And that's because we shared a big cheap hotel room with another comicking couple. Would still like to hit the road once or twice a year at least - I think I've overfished the local ponds. 

• C2e2 is a capes and cowls show, with attendees focusing on the big publishers at the front of the room. AA was very busy last year, but I saw countless fans waiting all day in lines at the dc booth. Lost sales for me and you guys. If I wasn't set up with RWP, I wouldn't exhibit.
  • On the other hand, Jimmie, you could make a grand or more easy at wizard world chicago.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}