Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comics/merch for Christmas/Hanukkah?

Let's hear what you got, folks. Comics? GNs? Money for publishing? Supplies for your con table? A plushie of your best creator-owned character ( @trevoramueller )?

Just comics stuff, I don't want to hear about slacks or video games.

My wife bought me a massive set of Sharpies for my sketch cards and a recreated Star Wars lunchbox to keep them in. I also got a very nice purple dress shirt to wear at cons and a B&N gift card I will spend on a GN.

We bought several comics-related things for our daughter, the other writer in the family: a framed page from our second STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE comic, a frame for a BATMAN STRIKES page in which she appears as a character and a commission from @Marvinmann of Meredith's character from Field Trip.

Comments

• I got that "Marvel Comics The Untold Story" book by Sean Howe, and the new Ellen Forney graphic novel "Marbles". And an Amazon gift card that will probably get used for something comic-y.
  • It was intended to help me buy a car I don't really need, but my father gave me $500 which I will instead put into the JAQrabbit Tales project.  And Zlatan gave me some undies that might find their way into it. :)
  • We weren't doing gifts per se this year, in lieu of forthcoming wedding expenses and "adopting" a needy family for Christmas instead.

But I did get The Spider-Man Vault from my brother, which was pretty cool.
  • edited December 2012
    The girlfriend's family gave me:

All-Star Superman TPB
    Superman: Birthright TPB
    Joe The Barbarian Hardcover
    Justice League: Doom Blu-Ray

All of the above were on my Amazon wishlist, but I'm delighted to have them. 'twas a very Morrison/Waid-y Christmas. They also gave me a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. Now I have something akin to a netbook that I can carry for scripting on the go.

My parents gave me a big Amazon gift card, which will likely be converted into graphic novels before too long.
  • @EricPalicki have you never read those Superman stories before? Or you just wanted the collections to own?
  • @pjperez I've read All-Star, having purchased the original issues (which I've long-since given away). I don't think there are any two creators in the industry today who produce better work together than Morrison and Quitely.

I've never read Birthright. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Mark Waid, but I've never had much time for Superman, so Birthright kept getting pushed farther down my to-read list. 

I bought the first two or three issues of Joe the Barbarian before losing track of the series.
  • I was given a hardcover of Azzarello/Risso's Spaceman and the first volume of Prophet by my brother as well as the first volume of Manhattan Projects from an uncle. Also, I figure this counts, Warren Ellis's new novel Gun Machine dropped through my letterbox Christmas Eve, a few weeks before it's due out I believe. 
  • Marvel Comics: The Untold Story
    Defenders vol 1 by Fraction (which...he kinda has Dr. Strange fight an old story idea I recognize him writing about from his old CBR column? I feel weird for noticing that.)
    Parker: The Score by Cooke
    Daredevil vol 1 by Waid
    Also, Wu Massacre and Liquid Swords, which have covers by Chris Bachalo and Denys Cowan, respectively, haha.
  • Oh, I suppose I should also include the drugstore reading glasses that Tyler bought me, for drawing.  I commented a few weeks ago that putting my face close to what I was working on actually made it harder on my eyes, and he concluded that I am now an old man in need of optical assistance.

They help.  :-$
  • Raked in the Amazon gift cards and so far bought:
    Paradise Kiss omnibus v2
    Flowers of Evil v 2 & 3
    Genshiken omnibus 1 & 2
    Genshiken Second, v1
    Maria Watches Over Us, Seasons 1-4
    (That last one is anime, but never fails to inspire me to write. Soooo good. It's time I owned the whole series.)

And stashed away some cash for comic printing later. 
  • I got some new shirts, and an Albert the Alien plushie for the table.

I also got the Complete Bone graphic novel, which is going to be awesome to read. Never read that comic cover-to-cover.
  • The oversized Nausicaa box set, third volume of Valerian & Laureline, and the last two volumes of 20th Century Boys before it becomes 21st.  Good, good stuff.
  • Got a bunch of Fully Booked giftcards from my sister, so I bought the ClanDestine Classic hardcover.
  • Not really a Christmas thing, but I found a good comics store in Anaheim and picked up The Art of P. Craig Russell and the dark Horse release of Blacksad.
  • That PCR book is wonderful to behold.
  • I just read the second Blacksad book that came out over here. Gorgeous work, as ever, but there's a lengthy discussion of the coloring process in the back that is absolutely killer craft talk.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}