Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Photoshop CS2 Free

edited January 2013 in The Toolbox
The 2005 version of Photoshop suite (including Illustrator) has just gone free-to-use on Adobe's site. The evil empire did something right!

It works great on any Windows PC and any Snow Leopard or PowerPC Mac. (Lion & Mountain Lion removed PPC app support.)

Adobe's site is slammed right now, but you can read about the offer here and grab it when things slow down:

Comments

• Great, just when I purchased a NEW computer.
  • I posted this to my facebook wall.  Thanks for the heads up.
  • I just upgraded to CS5, but this looks like a great deal for so many people out there. . . 

Thanks for sharing!
  • Speaking of sharing 5 people have shared it off my facebook page already.
    Hopefully, folks will take advantage of this deal.
  • Seeing as how I AM still working on CS2 for certain apps, this is super rad. Hell, I was still using Photoshop 7 up until a year or so back, and it did everything I needed it to.
  • Here are direct links to the installation, since Adobe's login servers are slammed right now: http://slickdeals.net/f/5784982-This-post-can-and-should-be-edited-by-users-like-you?p=56674132#edit56674132
  • Yeah, keep trying if you don't get into the site right away. I managed to get to it eventually. 
    I have a old copy of CS that I put on my daughter's laptop since it's older. 
    Figure CS2 will be somewhat of an upgrade. :)

Thanks! I saw the link here before it exploded on Twitter. 
  • edited January 2013
    Apparently this isn't quite what it seems.  The links are for copies of the software which still require valid serial numbers (which can be found easily) but which don't require Adobe's activation servers to be online (because they're shutting those off).  It's not an intentional give-away... it just makes it a little easier to install the software without paying for it.
  • Adobe is actually providing non-unique serial numbers for these. At any rate, the download links are still up, and we will likely hear from Adobe one way or the other by tomorrow. My recommendation is to get it while you are still able.
  • Nice way of Adobe getting around outright saying "all yours, guys."
  • The bottom line is that you need a valid serial number... any valid serial number. Which are easy to find.  Basically they've made it easier to pirate. (It's academic for me... literally, because I already have a volume academic CS2 license, which works the same way.)
  • edited January 2013
    It should be academic for most users, who may have a more current version anyway (although a lot of them may decide to downgrade in order to become semi-legit), and all of Adobe's target audience, because people who can afford a 2000+$ suite are likely to have the kind of computers CS2 doesn't work on anyway.

So, no loss, really, just a killer demo version.
  • Well, if it earns them a larger customer base as a result, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I still want to see Corel, SmithMicro and the rest survive and continue to compete, mind you...
  • Downloaded it, working on it now!

It's kinda a trap, since CS2 isn't supported anymore in the Mountain Lion osx, so if -like me, you'd have to update your osx, or god forbid, buy a new computer perhaps this year you'll be forced to buy CS 6, which would cost as much as that new computer. 
    Unless, you hire the CS via the Creative Cloud for a monthly fee. Anyone use the Cloud?
  • I will start renting software only when they stop selling it.
  • edited January 2013
    The monthly fee is roughly what I'd be prepared to pay for a program. Or maybe up to five monthly fees, depending on the program, but every month? Forever(ish)? Nah, that's just another one of those prices that show me they either don't get their market or we're just not their market.
  • It would be a good deal if it was leasing. It roughly comes out at 3 years payment to get to the value of the buy-in-one , but yeah, "owning" the software as long as you're paying for it: is not what I'd like to do
  • There's a Black Friday sale on Photoshop + Lightroom. You can subscribe to the latest versions of both for $9.99 / month total. 

• edited December 2013
    That's a pretty good deal, more or less in the price range I'd go with. (I'm ready to pay 5€/month for streaming music, so I can't really argue with this, even though for Europe it's about 15$.)

Only, I've grown so used to not using PS at all that I'm wondering if the few things I'm still doing with it are really worth it. I haven't done any standalone art with layer effects, photo layers for print recently, so I may be in a bubble here, but recently I've moved more and more into doing everything in Manga Studio.
    I've upgraded to MS5 recently, and while I still haven't really figured it out, it seems to cover most of what I'd now still do with PS. Except for web optimizing, and that I can do with Gimp.

Still, it's a great offer. Shame to let it pass...
  • The only things I still use PS for are silly things like adding misspelled captions to photos of cats, copy-pasting different faces on people, and other photoshoppy gags that I haven't bothered to figure out yet how to do in MS.  For professional-type things, it's all MS.
  • I exclusively use Photoshop (CS6... the last private version before the Creative Cloud).  I admit, it worries me that I lean so heavily on PS.  Once Adobe  / Apple / Updates, etc. and leave me unable to work then I will cross that bridge.  My only saving grace is that my original art is still on paper.

Still, I refuse to use the Creative Cloud / monthly membership fee until I am forced into it.
  • I really think that's why Adobe hasn't had a big backlash yet in their move to a subscription model. Many people are simply going to hang on to CS6 until it becomes obsolete. Then, I think that's when you are going to see a lot of people shopping around for more affordable alternatives.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}