Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Emerald City Comicon - 2013

edited February 2013 in On The Road
It's the Pacific Northwest's biggest show and it's less than a week away. Who's going? Who's tabling? Who's exhibiting? Where are all the good parties? Sound off here!

I'll start: Find me at Artist Alley J-09. No, really, FIND ME.

Comments

• I'm in Artist Alley — table I-04.
  • edited February 2013
    I SO wish I was going!  Pisses me off that I blew it getting a table for this year.
    I've only gone one year and I need to return.

@BrandonSeifert - However I should see you at Rose City Comic Convention in Sept.
    (well... I hope I do.  They have yet to cash the check I sent them.  In fact, WonderCon, which is next month, hasn't cashed my check or given me a table number, either).
  • @jimmie_robinson I almost DIDN'T. I tried to get a table for ECCC back in OCTOBER and they were already sold out. Sat on the waiting list for 6 months almost.
  • Artist Alley sold out in August. And they've taken over the entire convention center for this year.
  • Yeeeaaah. I think the 2010 show is where I first met you, Brandon. My first time there. It was 2 days. And there was A LOT of walking space in AA, everything in that one big hall. How things have changed...
  • @pjperez - Yeah I recall you talking about not knowing if you even had a table for a while.  You got lucky, bro!  Congrats!

I definitely need to get my ass back up there.  As @BrandonSeifert said they have been growing.
  • I'll be at P-17 for the ECCC show. I have my name in for the Rose City show, too.
  • Kinda stupid, but: if any of you folks get a chance, could one of you snag me a men's medium W.A.S.T.E. shirt from Fraction's table? They're $20, I'll pay you back that and the shipping.
  • I'll put it on my list, @joshhechinger and try to remember. I'm really bad at these things, though.
  • @pjperez - Still, much obliged.
  • @JasonCopland Look who got a nice shoutout on Bleeding Cool! (Even if it is misspelled...) 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/04/eccc-jason-coplad-and-melissa-pagluica/
  • Damn it! I forgot to get a copy of KAM from Copland! Guess I'll buy it in a store or whatever.
  • edited March 2013
    @GMatias Thanks for the shout out, Greg! Yeah, they got the name wrong on the title and credited the writing to Ed even though Michael May is the co-creator and writer of the book. Still, it was awesome of Matt to write such nice things about me and the book!
    @pjperez We'll be doing a Kickstarter for it. And it will also be solicited through Diamond in April, I believe.
  • @JasonCopland -fuckin' NICE!  They got the name right in the article, that's the best part.
  • I *WILL* be at ECCC next year.
  • edited March 2013
    Even if i have to walk to Seattle, I will be there.
  • I guess maybe I should turn in my application NOW for 2014.
  • @Jimmie_Robinson Thanks, Jimmie. It was a nice surprise to see the shout out on Bleeding Cool.

@pjperez
    I turned mine in at the con. Although the way sales went, I was
    questioning it as I was doing it... maybe I'll get a different placement
    that isn't out in the middle of nowhere. :)
  • @JasonCopland yeah, my sales weren't as good as I expected them to be, even with my good placement, but I love the city and the people there so much ... although it might be nice to partner with someone for next time...
  • @JasonCopland - I haven't been to ECCC in like 3 or 4 years.  I recall it being just one big room.  Are you saying things have changed in that layout?  Or that you didn't like the placement within the big room?

Is there a way I can get my paperwork / payment in *now* as opposed to later?
  • edited March 2013
    @Jimmie_Robinson Yeah, they have gone and doubled the size of the floor.
    It used to be just on one side of the convention center but now it is on both sides. And they split the artist alley space into 2 separate artist alley areas. I was in the original room... waaaaay in the back.

I'm not sure about applying now. I was given a special registration form when I picked up my badges. If I got it in before the end of the show I got a discount. I'm not sure you can get that form, now. You might have to wait until they post it on their site. Not sure.
  • Thanks, bro.  I'll keep an eye out.

And yeah... I was there when it was just one room.  Ah, well... growing pains.
  • @Jimmie_Robinson, this was the first year with the new layout. And ECCC now takes up the ENTIRE convention center — one whole floor is the show floor, the panels are upstairs, gaming and celebrity guests are on different floors. Definitely growing pains — but still a great show, and it's gotta be one of the biggest that's still focused on comics and creators! (Turn-out was something like 65,000-75,000, depending on the number the person you talked to remembered.)
  •  If I got it in before the end of the show I got a discount. I'm not sure you can get that form, now. You might have to wait until they post it on their site. Not sure.
    I didn't even look at the form during the show. Didn't realize there was a discount. Ah well...
  • This is a con I'd like to do once OLD WOUNDS comes out. But I figure travel will cost me $300-$350, plus a hotel for a few nights is another $200 (figuring I split it with a roomie), plus the table cost. if I do $1k in sales, I'm slightly more than breaking even.

This is why I don't do out-of-town shows unless I'm at least partially comp'd as a guest. The numbers don't work.
  • I never look at doing comic shows as P/L situations. They're for networking, marketing and exposure. Most people I know who travel for these things expect not to turn a profit. It's great if it happens, but it's also all a write-off.

(Not saying you should do something that's not worth it to you @russelllissau, especially when you have things like a family to support, just that to me, cons aren't sales floors - and I'm sure as hell not a salesperson.)

(Also: By the times OLD WOUNDS comes out, if things go as planned, hopefully your personal responsibility for expenses to appear at these things will be reduced. Stay tuned.)
  • @pjperez -agreed.  God, I can't even count up the amount of money I've paid *just* to be in some shows.

That's not to say it's always worth it -- even for the possible networking.  But in a way it has paid off over the years.  But it's a big gamble.  And if you've got a wife / kids / house / et, then it's hard to gamble like that.
  • @pjperez I look at shows both ways. I have the shows where I'm a guest (low to no costs) throughout the year, which make me money. But then splurg on a handful of shows for networking and opportunities - like NYCC, and looking at some additional ones moving forward.

NYCC has been a huge help in getting me additional gigs, networking with pros and editors, and even getting me invited to additional shows around the country. However, if I had to pay for my table and a hotel to stay in, I would never make money at that show.
  • Arguably, I've made somewhere close to six figures off the back of one night at a bar during NYCC. So, you know, networking pays.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(30): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(30): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(30): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(30): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}