Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extreme Talent Contest

edited February 2013 in The Toolbox
Rob Liefeld's put an open call to submit a short story pitch for one of his Extreme Studios IPs, to be drawn by him.

I submitted (though my pitch, while a Liefeld creation, might be a different Liefeld studio? Awesome, not Extreme? *shrug*). I haven't always been the biggest fan of the guy's work (I came around a few years back when I started spotting Fist of the North Star/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure influences in it, plus the guy's just super enthusiastic about comics), but Extreme's doing killer work with Prophet and Glory, and the character I've pitched is one I've been weirdly itchy to do something with.

Anyway, heads up, best of luck, and that.

Comments

• The submission requirements for this (aside from the legal sacrifice of any rights whatsoever) are so vague that I may have to throw something together and give this a shot.  Dibs on Kid Supreme! :-bd
  • edited February 2013
    How in the hell do you send this thing to him? The only contact button I see is through the website, but there's no way to attach the submission agreement (!). 

Or am I just some kind of Luddite (?)
  • Nice to see more talent searches like this.
    The industry needs to keep growing with more recognized talent.
    There's a lot of talent out there (right here in this community), why not tap it?
  • @EricPalicki - I checked his Twitter feed to see if anyone else had asked that before I sent it in, and he said just copy and paste it in. Mine went something like:

"First, the sub agreement:

[copy and pasted sub agreement that I cleaned up the formatting of in Word]

Now the actual pitch:

[couple few paragraphs]"
  • I'm game for this. @Owen_Jones you doing this, too?
  • edited February 2013

@TrevorAMueller I never read much Extreme and this seems a little bit, is dodgy the right word? maybe spur of the moment is less harsh?, there's no end date and no real suggestion that the ideas aren't just going to go into his work at a later date. I hope it's on the up and up and my legalese is weak so I'm probably missing stuff but the agreement seems worded in such a way that he can theoretically take everything submitted, use it for his own purposes, not inform anyone and he's not going to pay anyone:

4. I further acknowledge that at this time Rob Liefeld has no intent to compensate me in any way and I have no expectation of receiving any compensation.

6. Rob Liefeld shall have no obligation with respect to the Material submitted other than to make a reasonable effort to advise as to Rob Liefeld’s interest or lack of interest in acquiring rights to such Material. Rob Liefeld shall have no obligation to give reasons for rejecting any Material submitted.

He draws your work, gets press and makes money off it in trade for potentially a credit? I'm going to hold on and see what comes of the competition being exposed to a brighter light.

• edited February 2013
    The legalese says what it sounds like, but its unfortunately kinda necessary to protect Liefeld from some fan suing him for ripping off a proposal that consists of "Supreme fights Glory, in space".  The payment terms (the winner gets jack) are a bit lame, but they're up-front, and at least you know he'll live up to them.  The worst he can do to anyone submitting a story idea (and this is a real possibility) is to not follow thru and do it.  (He can't steal any actual intellectual property because stories with original characters aren't allowed.)

Yes, this whole thing is very half-assed, and Liefeld failing to think thru the fact that you need to submit a signed waiver along with the proposal for it to be valid is a sign of that.  So I don't have a problem with putting together a half-assed submission, and seeing if I can get any free publicity out of it.  Because I think it'd help me more than it'd help Rob.
  • edited February 2013
    Points 4 and 6 seem pretty standard to me, actually. This is the ass-covering sub agreement; point 4's basically saying "don't expect a paycheck for this pitch*" and point 6 is saying "the publisher needs to try and contact you if they want to buy it or not, but doesn't have to say why they don't want to buy it".

There's a world of difference between a submission agreement and an actual work contract.

*Literally the pitch (as that's the Material), not the eventual script if you get picked up.
  • What @JasonAQuest said. All he's asking for is a 5 page pitch. I can throw a pitch together in an hour or so, especially for a short story like that.

Need time to think it over and come up with some ideas. But, to me, it's worth an hour of my time to put a quick pitch together.
  • edited February 2013
    He's announcing the first winner March 4th, apparently.

e. So, I just realized: not only is the guy I pitched prrrrobably not an Extreme character, but I also totally created original characters for him to fight, which is prrrrobably bad. Hahahaha, ah well.
  • Trevor, you're better than this. Take the hour and do something nice for your fiancee or cat or something.
  • edited February 2013
    Russ, I think you're thinking of made-Judgement-Day-happen Extreme, not makes-Prophet-and-Glory-happen Extreme.
  • No, I'm thinking of a Rob Liefeld stunt that generates work and optimism but no real reward.
  • And I didn't just mean Trevor is better than this: Any of us are. This reeks of someone trying to capitalize on wannabe desperation.
  • What @russelllissau said. It's kind of like when JAQ said if Bluewater came to him, he'd work for them even though they have a terrible history of not paying their creators. When you accept stuff like that, or give away your talent to contests or non-paying gigs that promise "exposure" (and caveat: I mean from companied who can obviously otherwise pay, not from your fellow collaborative partners or trusted professionals), you further the diminished value of the individual creator. I had a discussion about this the other day with a fellow editor/writer: The "industry" gets away with abuse because people let them/invite it/validate it.

All that said, my biggest issue with this thing is that it's not entirely clear (unlike, say, the recent Top Cow Talent Hunt) that "winners" will be paid anything beyond having Liefeld's "art" grace their words. It's a little too loosely assembled. I don't think this is a bad thing overtly -- it's actually a very good thing, as I think someone else mentioned earlier in this thread. So ... tread lightly, I guess?
  • edited February 2013
    Speaking strictly for myself: I was quipping before, but Prophet and Glory really are some next level stuff in terms of the freedom those crews are given, and it pays off in the quality of the books; Glory's less my thing, actual-comic-wise, but both operate under the model of the publisher respecting the talents and creativity of the creative team despite it being a work for hire gig.

I don't feel I'm compromising myself or capitulating to desperation by doing ~30 minutes work to maybe get on the radar of a studio that makes comics like that (in both senses of the phrase); I'm not looking for audience exposure, I'm looking for publishers to back my kinds of play. And  I feel their current working model speaks strongly to the probability of getting paid for my work if there's work I get to do, with the added gravy of a semi-relationship with a studio I currently hold in very high regard.

I can't and won't speak for anyone else, but in this specific case, I have, in fact, thought this through, and there is no result in the spectrum of possibilities where I will feel diminished.

- If I submit and don't get picked up, I didn't even lose a stamp.
    - If I submit, get picked up, it gets published, and I don't get paid, I have an anecdote.
    - If Rob Liefeld outright steals my six page Bloodwulf story, I have an even better anecdote, because just typing that made me giggle a little. Your mileage may vary on that one, and I respect that. If Marvel stole a pitch from me, I'd be pissed. Rob stealing Rob's Lobo from me is goofy.
    - If I submit, get picked up, it gets published, I get paid, no other doors open, cool.
    - If I submit, get picked up, it gets published, I get paid, I now have an avenue to pitch other projects, then I start looking for the hidden cameras and assume someone's got me on Punk'd.

I promise you I have just put way more time explaining myself to you than I did pitching a Bloodwulf comic. As both were voluntary actions, nobody's getting a bill from me.

e. Reading that back felt slightly snotty, so let me adjust it slightly to say I do appreciate the concern in general and PJ's well-reasoned concern in particular.
  • For the record, what I said was [emphasis added] "I'd consider doing work for Bluewater if it fell in my lap, but I wouldn't give it priority over, say, going out for lunch."  I'm going to throw together a pitch for this as a creative exercise, kind of like I sometimes do remake/remodel challenges for Whitechapel ... which also have no money attached and have a slim chance of benefiting me in any substantial way.  And I'll probably do it over lunch tomorrow ... unless someone invites me to go out for subs or something.
  • No lunch invites. :( So after reading one Wikipedia article and one issue of a Liefeld-published comic, I wrote five brief paragraphs, outlining a short story (5 pages plus splash) in which the character meets an alternate-universe version of himself, kind of a "Flash of Two Worlds" / Pre/Post-Crisis pastiche. It's now in Rob's hands. :-c
  • Well, as long as I don't spend much time on it and  it's not a story I feel I can do better with my own characters, I'd do it just for the anecdote. I'll first have to look up what characters qualify, though. I don't think I've read any since Alan Moore left Supreme.

I'd share the concerns if this was DC or Marvel, because I'm sure they have ways of hurting my property in ways I can't even think of right now, but this is Liefeld. How much damage can he do? With 5-6 pages?

And I do believe he's sincere when he claims he means to promote fresh talent. Not sure how helpful an Extreme credit will be with that, but that's another question.
  • I may even be willing to help spread the word by blogging about it, if only for the headline LIEFELD LOOKING FOR TALENT.
  • I see it as the equivalent of publishing fan pin-ups in the back of a comic.