Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Con plans for 2014

edited December 2013 in On The Road
What cons are you hitting in 2014 as an exhibitor? Which are you attending as a fan or a pro on the loose? Do you have a new con strategy, a new layout, new tools for the task? Share.

Comments

• My schedule, as of right now.

March: MegaCon
    April: c2e2
    may: fcbd signing, Appleseed
    July: anime Midwest
    August: wizard world chicago
    sept.: Rose City Con
    October: Hammer Town (Ontario)

I also intend to schedule store appearances for SURVIVAL with @markstegbauer and for OLD WOUNDS with @johnbivens.
  • March: There are tentative plans to go to Emerald City, as my GF's best friend lives in Seattle, and a con would give me something to do during the visit. I'll just be a pro on the loose, there.

April: S.P.A.C.E., here in Columbus.

I'll be doing a little one-day show in South Bend called River-Con on April 19th as an exhibitor. It's a first year con, and tables are cheap. I encourage the Indy/Illinois folks to look into it, even though it's primarily a gaming con.

I'll be walking around unshackled at C2E2, as I was not approved for an AA table.

May: Tentatively doing an FCBD appearance at a shop in Toledo, my hometown.

October: NYCC. I'll be on the loose, probably, but this is my favorite weekend of the whole year.

October/November: Wizard World Ohio; it's a so-so show, but it's like 4 blocks from my apartment.

• This year I'm trying to exhibit *only* where I'm invited.
    I'm trying to reduce my *pay to play* funds and work toward events that benefit me financially.
    Not that I'm being picky, but because I simply cannot afford to take a blood bath every time I travel.

Currently....

March 7th:  Wizard World Sacramento

August 8th:  Boston Comic Con

I'm leaving the rest open as it develops.
    I really like going to conventions - but I also need to focus on my work at home.
  • Jimmie, consider anime shows. Big guest budgets and YOU WILL KILL.
  • Thinking of these:
    FLUKE – Athens, GA – April 19, 2014
    MomoCon – Atlanta, GA – May 23-25, 2014
    Wizard World Atlanta Comic Con – Atlanta, GA – May 30-June 1, 2014
    Dragon*Con – Atlanta, GA – August 29-September 1, 2014
    Anime Weekend Atlanta – Atlanta, GA – September 26-28, 2014

There's a good chance I'll only do FLUKE, MomoCon, and hopefully Dragon Con. Wizard ATL is too expensive for AA. Might attend. 

Every year I plan on attending Heroes Con but never do. 

Also, thinking seriously of dumping all cons except FLUKE and Dragon Con. 

• Vancouver Fan Expo
    Calgary Expo
    Canzine West
    Edmonton Fan Expo

Convinced the organizers that I would only be attending as an attendee:
    Gotta Con

Possibly:
    SEE (Saskatoon Entertainment Expo)
    Central Canada Comic Expo
    Anime Evolution

And I may attend a few more as an attendee/gonzo artist, we'll see.
  • I'll likely attend C2E2... wanted to do S.P.A.C.E this year but I'll be in Florida that weekend visiting some friends.

I will at least be in attendance at WWOhio, if not tabling. Same goes for WWChicago.

Plus I've registered for an AA table at ACEN, this would be the first year for me at that show but I always hear good things from Russell and Trevor so why the hell not?
  • Thrilled to see you getting back on the horse, Steve. You should reach out ASAP to Ryan kopf about Anime Midwest. we KILLED this year. Guest status bring free table and a shared hotel room, in exchange for panels.
  • Man, I gotta consider WW ohio.
  • @RussellLissau You have a free place to stay if you want it!
  • Which, actually, I'll extend that to anyone from the board. I don't have a huge place but I have a couch and a guest room and plenty of floor space. I'm an easy 10 or 15 minute bus ride or 5 minute car ride from the convention center. 
  • I really want to find an out of town con in June or July. I want to take my wife and daughter on a mini vacation.
  • I just sent a request for a pro pass for Emerald City Con.
  • I'd like to do Baltimore again as a pro-on-the-loose, and I need to look around for small Philly area cons to exhibit at. I've got...three copies of CBT left, 10 Doug's, 10 Unfashioned Creatures, sketch cards...figure I can get a small show out of those.
  • Doing the following shows in 2014:

ACEN
    C2E2
    Anime Mid-west (or Anime Expo)
    Wizard World Chicago
    Mid-Ohio Con
    NYCC
    Kollision Con

Possibly doing Anime Boston, and looking at a few other shows too.
  • Horton and I already signed up for anime midwest.
  • @RussellLissau  Wait... you signed up as a guest?  Or you agreed to their invitation?  I see you and Steve are listed as guests on the web site. 
  • We asked to be invited back.
  • Oh.
    I'll have to figure out stuff like that.
    As I said earlier, this year I'd like to travel less and focus more on my work.
    I'd like to be invited to shows, but I feel that my books just aren't making an impact that gets me on guest list in the first place.  It's like a line of dominos that needs to be tipped.
  • Jimmie, most shows I guest at, I ask to be invited in exchange for panels and promotion.
  • In exchange?  Meaning you will do a panel for them, or be part of an existing panel they are trying to fill?
    Sorry for all the questions.  I know I've been around the block a time or two, but I just never got a handle on *how to get into a con* (without simply paying my way like a regular exhibitor).
  • I will paste my template letter tonight. In short, I offer to do three panels in exchange for table, hotel, travel and a food stipend. Sometimes group, sometimes solo. Worst they can do is say no. most negotiate. I am cheap compared to guests that also demand a four figure appearance fee.
  • WOw...!  I have no idea such things even existed.

Recently, Wizard World asked me to be a guest at their show.  I agreed and tried to negotiate a hotel room, but they said no on the accommodations.  Luckily, the event is only a 2 hour drive for me so I didn't need to bug anyone about travel expense.

A food stipend?  Amazing.

When you say you'll do three panels is that moderating their panels, or creating and moderating *your* own panels?
  • This year I'm trying to exhibit *only* where I'm invited.
    I'm trying to reduce my *pay to play* funds and work toward events that benefit me financially.
    Not that I'm being picky, but because I simply cannot afford to take a blood bath every time I travel.
    I'm only going to be exhibiting at shows I'm a guest at — but I'm only a guest at these shows because I asked to be (which is the old conversation you and I have, @Jimmie_Robinson, about how if one doesn't ask for things in this industry, one doesn't get things). And as @RussellLissau points out, apparently I'm missing out on getting a lot of stuff because I don't ask for it either! Russell, would seriously love to read that letter of yours.

For me:

January: Wizard World Portland
    February: Wizard World New Orleans
    March: Emerald City Comic Con (not exhibiting)
    April: Hoping to be a guest of the H.P. Lovecraft Film Fest here in town again.
    May: Probably a FCBD signing at Collectors Corner in Maryland or somewhere. Also may table at World Horror Convention (since it happens to be in Portland this year).
    June: Would like to do HeroesCon.
    July: SDCC
    August: Nothing.
    September: Would like to do Baltimore Comic Con. Hoping to do Rose City Comic Con again
    October: NYCC.

...Good god. That's almost a show a month from now until November. That's... I'm not sure if I actually want to do that! Hmm. (And I was hoping to do some show in Vancouver, BC this year, too! And one of these years I want to make it to C2E2.) Mercifully, five of those shows are in Portland, which just leaves five "traveling cons." So its not as bad as it COULD be.

Still. Eek.
  • @Jimmie_robinson, @brandonseifert. The template to con organizers:

Hi, comics writer Russell Lissau here. I've heard
    tremendous things about your con, and I'd love to be considered a guest in

I live in Chicago and I've never done a
    Northeast con. I'll be a guest at MegaCon in 2014, along with Wizard World
    Chicago and a handful of other shows. I've been a guest at cons including C2E2,
    ACen and A-Kon.

I'd happily do panels or other promotions in
    exchange for a hotel room, travel expenses and a table.

My credits include Batman, Shrek and Strawberry
    Shortcake. Right now I'm one of the occasional writers on Aw Yeah Comics. I'm
    also a contributor to the upcoming GRAPHIC TEXTBOOK, and my first GN, OLD
    WOUNDS, hits in 2014.

If you're interested in learning more about me,
    visit www.facebook.com/russell.lissau.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

• Shia LaBoeuf will be sending this exact letter to several con organizers later today. :)
  • Hmmm, I was expecting more fancy-lingo legalize talk.  This is pretty cool that's not so heavy on the corporate jargon.

I was invited to Boston Comic Con.  I might follow up on their invitation with a modified version of something like this and see if I can get some compensation on accommodations or travel fare.
  • @Jimmie_Robinson Is Boston your only visit East? Do I recall you going to NY too?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}