Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deniz Camp's Printing Press

edited August 2014 in Work Logs
Hey y'all! Starting a thread for projects I've got in various stages of development. Process pieces, forthcoming!

To start it off, a logo and some character designs for a pitch I'm just getting ready to send out.

photo image_zps919f3666.png

photo James1_zps4f344721.jpg

photo bwbg_zps92a6d754.jpg

photo 8io4_zps38a17267.jpg

photo 9d42765b3de3a3f4ff234ba7b0f96a88_zps6d009555.jpg

photo 10261723_603761453042235_381462455_n_zps032a511e.jpg

photo 10255696_605753159509731_1716488257_n_zps85217dc2.jpg

photo 10248921_606362626115451_127701425_n_zps108a0f7b.jpg

photo 10178427_603582603060120_966293737_n_zps233c3876.jpg

Art by Ralf Singh! Logo by Kenny Jeffrey!

My Blog: http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com

Comments

• Looks good, I'm impressed. Anything with backgrounds, too?

I take it this is all digital?

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Thanks a lot, sir! Means quite a bit to hear you say so (though, to be very clear, I am NOT the artist on this -- just very lucky to be working with a great one)

Yes, Ralf works completely with digital!

Here are some sequentials, w/o letters (letters coming soon!)

photo td546_zps9bfa4c6d.jpg

photo e3ky_zps9410a146.jpg

photo epva_zps176e297c.jpg

photo 0lfkq_zpsafa04e13.jpg

photo 15a7_zpsabfc04f4.jpg

photo wkm0_zpsad013a43.jpg
  • The art's great, but I have to say that I'm losing the Ts in that logo design… it's clever, and I appreciate it as a design, but it sacrifices legibility to that cleverness.
  • Attractive art.

• Glad you like it !

Jim, point well taken about the logo; for me, the extended crossing of the second "T" in truths supplements the somewhat unclear nature of the first 'T'. Really pleased with the logo.
  • edited August 2014
    Cold Truths
    Written/Co-Created by Deniz Camp
    Penciled/Inked/Co-Created by Ralf Singh

And if gaining the truth meant giving up everything else...would you pay that price?

Logline: Hidden secrets threaten to tear apart a brother and sister as they race to stop a woman with the power of a god as she threatens to bring about the end of the world. It’s Boondock Saints meets Lord of the Rings as we go on a globe-trotting adventure in this action-packed urban fantasy!
  • edited August 2014
    The art looks great, that seems like a solid premise...I'd maybe tweak the log lines some? Like:

"A brother and sister race to stop a world-ending threat, but the secrets they uncover on the way could tear them apart."

or 

"A brother and sister race to stop the end of the world. But the secrets they uncover along the way might be a bigger threat than the godlike power they have to face."
  • Brilliant reworking, Josh! I've callously stolen your first suggested rework! Thank you so much!
  • Happy to help.
  • A couple of logos for a separate, unrelated project I'm working on with Juha Halme. Logo/Graphic Design by Juha!

photo icons_logo_work_0011_zps7f69834a.jpg

photo icons_logo_work_002_zpsdcc52ff6.jpg
  • Cold Truths Has You Covered!

photo CTcover2_zpse16306d8.png

Cover mock up. Pencil/ink/line art by Ralf Singh. Colors by Dennis Lehmann. Logo by Kenny Jeffrey.
  • Definitely looking for opinions on the coloring here, as we go forward. Still trying to decide on a good colorist.
  • edited August 2014
    Art's great. Colors look good. 

I was on the fence about the logo, but in practice,  I can see that Jim's right. I'm losing the Ts, and the O and L aren't terribly clear, either.
  • Its a rather cool cover. Not simply for the color scheme, but it lacks dynamism.
  • Yes, that's definitely true, Marvin, something I've thought about as well.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions from everyone! We'll have to agree to disagree on the logo, but I'm prepared for a 'redo' from a publisher, of course.
  • Preview! Letters by Micah Meyer.

photo Issue1Page3Lettered-01-p1901o7j3g1qdq1e0jjsl1ccrrjg_zps92e460a9.jpg

photo Issue1Page4Lettered-01-p1901o7j3hmpo9qf1bae1mq98v8_zpscfe935d9.jpg

photo Issue1Page5Lettered-01-p1901o7j3he0ac781imp1ul1181b_zpsa0b0c923.jpg

photo Issue1Page6Lettered-01-p1901o7j3i1nda1t1p1005hah1pmh_zps925fb28a.jpg

photo Issue1Page7Lettered-01-p1901o7j3i7r7plk13dhbiq1tsk_zps10df4115.jpg

photo Issue1Pag11Lettered-01-p1901u7hldk4h1v3h1lnns8l1nd2_zps897a3056.jpg

• Good work. You've put together an excellent team and a concept that may have some pop.
  • Thank you very kindly, Marvin!
  • Hey y'all!

So I've started posting a Shazam fan comic in the vein of Calvin and Hobbes, with rotating artists. Hoping to make it a weekly thing. You can check out the first installment at my blog or at the Tumblr I set up for it specifically!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/2014/09/billy-and-tawny-week-one.html

http://billyandtawny.tumblr.com/

Hope ya dig! If anyone might want to collaborate - or write your own and have it posted up - please tell me!
  • That looks like a lot of fun!  I could probably find time to do one, if you're interested.
  • Slight technical worry from me… I'm not 100% sure where the Live area falls on these pages but, to me, it looks like you may lettering positioned well outside it. If you're planning on being 100% digital (web, tablet) that's not a problem, but it's going to be an issue if you ever plan to take these pages to print…

• Jason - I'd love for you to do one! Would you like to choose from some scripts of mine, or would you rather write it yourself?

Jim - I have no idea what you're saying but that is indeed worrisome! Are you saying that the dimensions of the pages themselves are too big?
  • edited September 2014
    Not saying that the pages are too big — the artwork can occupy a much larger area than the lettering. Out of sheer laziness, I'd point you in the direction of this quick overview of the Bleed, Trim and Live areas of a page…
  • Thanks Jim! You're fantastic, and that's a fantastic resource. I had NO IDEA about any of this.
  • Why don't you send me some scripts to look at? (jasonq@jaqrabbit.com) I wouldn't want to try writing something myself without having a better idea of where you want to go with it.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}