Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ello World

Yes, it's another new social media site. Who knows if it will last. I didn't think Twitter would amount to much. (HA!)

You can find me here: https://ello.co/gregcarter

Where are you?

( I have a couple of invites left, if anybody wants one.)

Comments

• You can find me on Ello here:

I just got on today.  Seems nice.  But as Greg said, who knows how long it'll last or what impact it'll make.  I do like the concept that it is creator-driven.  Creative people are on it, not just anyone with a dinner recipe and a cute puppy -- though I'm sure that'll change.

• I know it's still in beta version... but is there a way, or a list, to find other comic artists?

I've scrolled through a million art designers, photographers and iOS creators and (for some reason) bicycle frame builders, haha!
  • I haven't figured out how to find anyone other than checking out other people's following/follower lists. :-/
  • Hahah!  Yeah, that's what I just did.  I went and data mined other comic creators who had 100+ followers / following.  Then I found the comic community.
  • I'd love an invite, if you have any left, Greg.
  • Go to https://ello.co/join
    Code: caterpillar-do-went-ac445d

• Cheers, Greg! See you there!
  • I could use an invite.
  • @JasonAQuest I can make it happen. PM your email address to me, I've got an invite waiting.
  • There seem to be two big problems with Ello at the moment.

The first one is the lack of the ability to block people. Apparently many members of the LGBT community went on to the site and were immediately inundated with hate posts. Ello has said that this has become a priority for them to fix. But many people think that the site should have rolled out with that option already installed. Which is true. It's kind of like letting people ride around in the new race car you built that doesn't have seat belts in it yet.

The second issue is with their business plan. They've marketed themselves as an ethical alternative to Facebook. Yet in taking venture capital they've created an exit strategy for themselves, wherein eventually the founders of Ello will sell their company, leaving their clients (the people using Ello) at the mercy of whoever is taking over (and letting the advertisement bombardment commence).

Having said that, it is a very slick and clean social network. But at the moment, it seems to be easier to think of it as an alternative to Tumblr.
  • Yeah, blocking seems like it should've been an alpha-testing feature, not beta.

I'm looking at it because they're promising less censorship and allowance of pseudonyms, which (aside from the blocking issue) makes it appealing to the queer community ... and that's my main audience at present. I'll go wherever the readers are, so I'd even given ChristianMingle.com a try if I thought there were lots of closeted perverts on there. :)
  • Whatever Ello should have done is besides the point -- for me.
    Currently, I think it'll be whatever it's gonna be.  In a way, the more it looks like the Wild Wild West the more people come to it just to figure it out.

In my opinion... Ello will turn into a type of portfolio / gallery / thing.  Less socializing and more like a Tumblr community where you just look at things, but not interact as much.
  • I keep on using it regardless of those concerns. That is also because my main goal is promotion and showing my work to as many people as possible. Ello works well for that.
  • If anyone has another invite, I wouldn't mind joining you guys on this new social site. :)
  • PM me your email and I'll invite you, @trevorAMueller.
  • Sooo, has anything been happening there?
  • Very little on my list. Of course, I haven't been contributing either. I've heard a lot of tech-type people are using it, but not so much the artist/comics/writer crowd I follow.
  • @marvinmann
    yeah, I haven't used it much, either. However, people have been following me (even if I'm not active, it seems)

To be honest.... I am dragging my ass on a lot of social media. Ello, Twitter, tumblr, my web site, etc.
    I need to shore that up with my new book coming out in Februrary.
  • I fluked out and added a bunch of photographers who do some stunning photography, so it entices me to go on there to see what they are doing, even if I'm not putting much on it yet.
  • Found another new social network, well new to me - tsu. 
    https://www.tsu.co/GregCarter
    I claimed my name in case it goes anywhere. 

Didn't think this was worth a new thread though since it will probably end up like Ello. 
  • I tried to check out the features on Tsu, but it keeps asking me to sign up just to look at it.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}