Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If money were no object...

edited December 2014 in On The Road
And you could hire any currently-working artist that isn't Marvel or DC exclusive, and isn't already on an ongoing series, to work on your dream project at Image Comics, who would you hire? Assume you have to pay him or her upfront and hope the book does well enough to recoup costs.

Comments

• I've always liked Sean Phillips and Michael Lark. 
  • Sean I think is chained at the hip to Brubaker for years to come!
  • edited December 2014
    I'd pull Barry Windsor-Smith out of retirement.

Barring that option, Cam Stewart.

Edit: Actually, no. Ryan Kelly, who has somehow not managed to find a ton of success outside of his collaborations with Brian Wood.
  • Yeah, Cameron is tied up at DC. Ryan Kelly is a good choice, though.
  • Yeah. It's a harder question that it seems. I'd say Frank Quitely, for example, but he's a) on JUPITER'S LEGACY, and even if that's a finite series (I have no idea; I can't stomach Millar), he's b) too, too slow.

Who's yours, Steve?
  • Hmmmm....Aaron Kuder, Sean Philips, Frank Quietly.

Actually, Kuder and I want to do a thing, but getting the financial timing right is tricky.

Das Pastoras.
  • Sean Murphy, I mean.
  • But, hell, Phillips too.
  • edited December 2014
    Artist front:
    David Lafuente
    David Rubin

Writer front:
    HIckman
    Fraction
  • Since I write & draw I wouldn't hire anyone.  But if money were no object (i.e., inherit a gazillion bucks) I would use it to promote my book through the roof and start my own publishing company.

Hmm.... so.. if I had my own publishing company then I'd be hiring a bunch of new talent for a new readership.  Thus, I would be hiring you folks on this forum and elsewhere about the Internet.
  • I'd go with P. Craig Russell.  He isn't exclusive to any publisher, but he's working on an "only if you have my home phone number" basis. I'd have to pawn and sell half of my possessions, but but considering that there are people who'll buy books for the PCR art alone, I'm pretty sure mine would gross enough to recoup that.
  • Phillip Bond, Alan Davis, Jesse Hamm, Valerio Schiti; LaFuente too, but I'd be equally happy seeing what him and Jorge do.

I have a laundry list of people I'd bankroll into doing whatever they wanted for six pages in the back, too.
  • Since I write & draw I wouldn't hire anyone
    BZZZZT! [-X That wasn't the question. You aren't hiring them because you can't draw, you're hiring them because you can't draw like they do, or because you can't draw multiple books at the same time.

• Yeah. It's a harder question that it seems. I'd say Frank Quitely, for example, but he's a) on JUPITER'S LEGACY, and even if that's a finite series (I have no idea; I can't stomach Millar), he's b) too, too slow.

Who's yours, Steve?
    Probably Paul Smith or Walt Simonson. If it has to be someone newer with more star power, Mitch Breitweiser or Stu Immonen.
  • edited December 2014
    It would have to be an OGN because of time issues but my pick would be Nate Simpson. Non-player still impresses the hell out of me every time I open it.

I'd have said Nick Dragotta but I bet he's tied to EoW for a long time yet.
  • Ryan Kelly on the interiors and David Mack on the covers. 
    That would be awesome.
  • I like my artists. I'd like to work with them more. But if I had a dream artist that I can't afford, I'd love to do something with Talent Caldwell, Jason Pearson, or Travis Charest. 
  • Travis Charest! Great call Trevor, I love Spacegirl.
  • I would kill to have John Ridgway illustrate Meggido for me. Because it's his artwork that I see when I'm thinking about the story and I don't think that I can quite copy that.
  • Since I write & draw I wouldn't hire anyone
    BZZZZT! [-X That wasn't the question. You aren't hiring them because you can't draw, you're hiring them because you can't draw like they do, or because you can't draw multiple books at the same time.

I would hire an all woman team and have them write & draw an all male superhero team book.
  • Any more names you all can throw at me? This is not entirely hypothetical. ;)
  • You cats have good taste.

My top choices: John McCrea, Steve Pugh, Leonardo Manco, Steve Dillon.

Yeah, I'm a child of the Vertigo 90s.

• Man, finding a superlative artist is hard, even if you got the money.
  • My friend Alex Ronald isn't a 'name' but is a superb artist… he forsook a fairly successful comics career in the late 90s for computer game concept art and has begun a shift back to comics work in the last year or so. Recent developments at his workplace may have accelerated that shift, so if you're in the market for a fantastic cover or even some strip work, have a look at his blog… http://alexronald68.blogspot.co.uk/?view=classic
  • Great stuff, almost photorealistic!
  • I would kill to have John Ridgway illustrate Meggido for me. Because it's his artwork that I see when I'm thinking about the story and I don't think that I can quite copy that.
    Good choice, but sadly John is pretty much retired these days. However, Mike Dowling's recent work on 'Ichabod Azrael' for 2000AD carried such a strong Ridgway vibe that I now think of Mike as John's heir apparent!

• @JimCampbell I am extremely out of the loop these days. But you are right Mike would definitely fit.
  • Artists? Under those circumstances?

Sal Velluto. David Ross. Leonard Kirk. Nicola Scott. Diana Greenhalgh. I'll add more as they come to mind.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(22): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}