Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Superscript

edited May 30 in The Toolbox
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jpsilva/superscript <br><br> I started off as a critic of Superscript, but it's <i>almost</i> won me over. <br><br> My main complaint was with the licensing model of it, which was slithering down the trend toward software rental. I told the developer what I thought of that (among other things: it's a non-starter for me, and I simply would not even consider the software under those terms) and to his credit, he seems to have taken what I said to heart. He's now offering "lifetime" licenses for $50 with free updates for a limited term. That's reasonable. And I think it's telling that backer levels for lifetime licenses are far more popular than the time-limited ones. <br><br> He's also indicated that the software will still run with limited functionality when/if you stop paying for the rental licenses, so you'll at least be able to open and export your scripts as Word documents, and they won't be "trapped" in its proprietary file format. <br><br> He's offering very-time-limited alpha-test quality free previews of the software, so I downloaded it and took it for a quick spin around the block. It's still rough around the edges, but it has some nice features that I would really like to have, such as automatically numbering panels as you write them, and auto re-numbering them when you add/remove them. <br><br> Switching to it would require shifting gears a bit, and some of the ways he tries to streamline the script-writing process don't jibe with the way I would've done it. But different ≠ wrong. For example, he differentiates slightly between the way the script looks as you're typing it, and how it outputs for you to give to the artist. This is unintuitive to me, but it gave me the idea of having the program automatically output all lowercase "i"s (except the word "I") so the letterer could just copy-paste dialog into Illustrator or whatever. I suggested it to the developer, and he's already working on it! <br><br> So I still have my doubts about whether I want to personally use Superscript (great name, by the way). But I'm convinced enough to recommend looking at it. The Kickstarter has already reached funding level, and the guy seems bright enough to continue offering the "lifetime" licenses after the software is released, so it probably isn't urgent that you jump on it right away. But unlike a similar KS project from a few years ago which has ended up as vaporware, this software exists and works, and has the potential to become the standard go-to software for comics scripting.