Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Illustrator Question

edited October 2012 in The Toolbox
I'm currently exporting final, lettered pages from Illustrator in TIF format.

Is there a way to clip the page to the artboard when you export TIFs? That'd make my job a lot easier, but I can't find an option for it in the "Export" dialogue and I don't find a command for it anywhere to apply to the page itself.

Comments

• Why .tif? Just out of curiosity.

I keep them as Illustrator files, which themselves are linked back to the original B/W artwork. Then I place those directly in InDesign. Does your page layout software want the .tif format?
  • My publisher wants TIFs.
  • edited May 2011
    I don't see a setting for it, either.  There's a clip-to-artboard checkbox on the Save for Web & Devices dialog (on the Image Size tab), but TIFF isn't one of the options for that feature.  24-bit PNG is more or less equivalent to TIFF (that is, you can convert from one to the other with no loss of data), if that helps.
  • Hmm, not sure if the option exists anywhere. I'd probably suggest recording an action that resizes the artboard to the standard page size and then runs into the save as tif dialog box. At least you'll save some time.
  • What Matt said. I would just throw it together in InDesign, if you have access to it.

OR, if it's just black and white and your art is high res enough, you can just create single tiffs in photoshop.
  • He's being specifically requested to sub .tif files though, which happens a lot actually. I've asked before and had publishers just take .ai from me because all they were doing was dropping them into inDesign anyway but, you know. What publisher want publisher get most of the time.
  • Brandon, I'm not clear on what you mean by attaching the page to the artboard. If it's an issue of the artboard being too small for the page and printout being munged (which happened to me for a long time until I figured out the issue), then it's a matter of measuring the artboard to the page size, then export to .tif

Not sure if that's what you're after though. Hope the late reply helps.
  • edited May 2011
    I believe the TIFF requests are because the bit depth is high, they preserve transparency info, and still maintain the high quality of a bitmap which would strip out that info.

It was pretty common for our texture artists to save to TIFF/Targa before handing the files off to be compressed for DirectX and OpenGL.
  • edited May 2011
    @BrandonSeifert there's no way that I know of. I wish there was. 

Usually I make sure the TIFs are the right size before I letter, and Illustrator usually preserves that. Sometimes it does blow out one of the margins, in which I case I will crop it back to size in photoshop using the Canvas-size. 
  • I've always lettered in photoshop and never had a problem with it. I try to avoid illustrator as much as possible.
  • @anthonyperuzzo these days PS does most of what Illo can, most of the reason I stay with Illo is because I'm familiar with it and I think it has better controls when doing complicated sound effects. From a balloon/text perspective it's got no major advantage (unless you use the method McCloud describes in those videos I posted in the Inspiration Devices thread)
  • I have the consistent problem that when I import my files to Photoshop (to prepare the final tiffs the printer uses) that I must always move the letters back to their positions. They never place in the proper area on the first go. It's quite aggravating.
  • @KellyTindall from illustrator? That's very odd. Are you using the same template all the time? There's either something wrong with the way you're exporting (options your choosing anyway) or if you're using a template there may be something off on the artboard positioning.
  • @KellyTindall: Are you pasting the files from Illustator to Photoshop? If so, make sure that the file you're pasting on to in Photoshop is sized so that the entire thing fits on the screen. If you're zoomed in on the artwork, it will paste out of position, but if you're zoomed out, it should work.

• The only way I can see to do this is to place a rectangle aligned with your art board over the illustration, make it a cropping mask, then export with "use artboard" turned off. What you'll get is a TIFF the size of your original illustration with the area outside the crop mask blanked out. You can then trim that down in Photoshop. 

A real pain in the ass, though. I think a better way would be to trim the scanned illustration to the output size desired, first.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Debug Trace

Notice
The addon in /plugins/AboutMe has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon key must match it's subdirectory name (about me vs. AboutMe).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon key m...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon key m...', 1024)
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(829): Vanilla\Addon->triggerIssues()
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1582): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(319): require('/home/steve55/p...')
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(740): Vanilla\AddonManager->ensureMultiCache()
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1094): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupAddon('stubcontent')
#7 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1074): Vanilla\AddonManager->lookupByType('stubcontent', 'addon')
#8 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#9 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#10 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#11 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#12 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon in /plugins/Emotify has 1 issue(s).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon in /p...', '/home/steve55/p...', 795, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(795): trigger_error('The addon in /p...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon should have at most one plugin class (EmotifyPlugin, EmotifyPlugin).

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon shoul...', '/home/steve55/p...', 797, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/Addon.php(797): trigger_error('The addon shoul...', 1024)
#3 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/cache/addon.php(1806): Vanilla\Addon::__set_state(Array)
#13 {main}
Notice
The addon with key GoogleSignIn could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The addon with ...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The addon with ...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(247): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'addon')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SequentialWorkshop could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#3 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Garden\Container\Container), Object(Gdn_Configuration), Object(Vanilla\AddonManager), Object(Garden\EventManager), Object(Gdn_Request))
#4 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/vendor/vanilla/garden-container/src/Container.php(723): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#5 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(308): Garden\Container\Container->call(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/index.php(27): require_once('/home/steve55/p...')
#7 {main}
Notice
The locale with key SQWSHP could not be found and will not be started.

#0 [internal function]: gdn_ErrorHandler(1024, 'The locale with...', '/home/steve55/p...', 1076, Array)
#1 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/library/Vanilla/AddonManager.php(1076): trigger_error('The locale with...')
#2 /home/steve55/public_html/sequentialworkshop.com/forum/bootstrap.php(249): Vanilla\AddonManager->startAddonsByKey(Array, 'locale')
#7 {main}