drawing furries

edited March 2012 in Do The Work
For our Reading With Pictures project, Russell is writing a script about a group of school kids on a Field Trip to the Chicago Art Museum. Bored with the paintings, they get excited about the hall of Armor and imagine themselves as knights in sword fights and such. He also suggested that we make the kids anthropomorphic animals. Those of you who know my work may recognize that their are like NO furries in my portfolio. So i have to figure out a style.

That shouldn't be too hard, right? And as I get into it, all sorts of questions emerge. Pants or no pants? People with animal heads, or Hanna Barbera style cartoons? Shall I deal with light and shadow, or keep them flat? A controlled smooth line,or my usually slop? Shall I draw the fur and if so, how much?

Plus, I'm trying to develop a colored style that I can use in lieu of digital coloring, which I don't enjoy much. I haven't been satisfied with the Pitt markers for this purpose. I like the brush tip, and I like many of the colors, but there's not enough range and they don't blend, and they are very intense.

So I've scanned in six attempts for your amusement, pretty much in the sequence that I drew them, so you can see the evolution, and here they are:

As you can see, they are getting more animal like, and sketchier as I progress... EXCEPT, for a human mouth.

Comments